From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: High-integrity networking
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:17:33 -0700
Date: 2007-10-09T06:17:33-07:00	[thread overview]

On 8 Pa , 23:02, "Jeffrey R. Carter"
<spam.jrcarter....@acm.nospam.org> wrote:

> Ravenscar describes the language subset for a single Ada program. An Ada
> program may consist of multiple partitions, and different partitions may
> run on different computers. Unless I've missed something, Ravenscar is
> fine for distributed programs using Annex E.

I understand this, but this approach has some limitations for me.
First of all, it limits the scope of discussion to Ada only, and every
non-trivial distributed system I have seen so far is heterogenous in
the sense of technology coverage.
I would like to understand the issues in such systems to get a better
view on the architectural and functional aspects of communication that
promotes verification and analysis of the whole. As I've already
pointed, I understand that Ravenscar can be used as a "mental
template" that can be extrapolated to distributed systems. This is
perfectly fine. Still, if there is anything that is particularly worth
reading *in addition*, I'm looking forward to get some pointers.

I have already found CSP (Communicating Sequential Processes), which
is one possible approach, although what I have seen up to now leaves
some "minor" details in the air, like the startup of the whole system.
Ravenscar can afford this, because it's the language implementation
that has to more or less transparently take care of all these issues,
but heterogenous systems might need some more explicit handling.

In any case - is this (CSP) the only keyword in this subject?

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com