* Re: OS in Ada, what about the compiler?
       [not found] <1191880545.979964.152370@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-10-08 22:55 ` anon
       [not found]   ` <1191884938.344636.290620@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com>
From: anon @ 2007-10-08 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

It has been done.

But for what your trying to do you should check out:

RTEMS -- Real-Time Executive for Multiprocessor Systems.

         http://www.rterms.com

         CPU Systems: AMD 29K; Hitachi SH; HP PA-RISC;
                      ix86, i960; m683x0, m680x0, mPPC,
                      mColdfire; MIPS R46x0, SPARC.
         Download: Source only

MaRTE -- Minimal Real Time Operating System for Embedded
         Applications is a real time kernel

         http://marte.unican.es/

         CPU Systems: x86
         Download: Binary, Source, Demo programs.

Both are rated as a Real-Time GPL open source OS with Posix
interfaces. They use GNAT for their Ada compiler.

There are other projects out there if you spend a few minutes
using your search engine you can find them. Like the Toy
Lovelace project but on their web site there are no files listed,
even though the project was started in Jan 2006.

@ 2007-10-09  1:43 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2007-10-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lucretia" <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about working on an OS but writing it in Ada,
> wanted to do it for a while and have in the past written a few hello
> world style kernels for different platforms; these basically used the
> "pragma No_Run_Time;" in the source.
>
> But, say I wanted a stripped down runtime, no tasking, just be able
> use things like attributes, tagged types, overloading, etc. What
> exactly would I have to do to GNAT to get this far?

I don't know enough about the compiler to answer directly, but the folks
that put together AVA-Ada, which is GNAT targeting the 8 bit AVR
microcontrollers have produced a stripped down runtime for that target.  I
don't know exactly what features are supported, but it might be useful to
see how they adapted GNAT for that target.

http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

There is some documetation here:

http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/index.htm

on the GNU Ada runtime.  You might be able to figure out how the compiler
uses the run-time and implement your own non-posix runtime in its place.

I hope this helps,

Steve
(The Duck)

@ 2007-10-09  3:15   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2007-10-09  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Oct, 02:43, "Steve" <nospam_steve...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't know enough about the compiler to answer directly, but the folks
> that put together AVA-Ada, which is GNAT targeting the 8 bit AVR
> microcontrollers have produced a stripped down runtime for that target.  I
> don't know exactly what features are supported, but it might be useful to
> see how they adapted GNAT for that target.
>
> http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

Thank, I'll have a look. If they're up to date, it'd probably be
useful.

> There is some documetation here:
>
> http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/index.htm

Unfortunately, that's incredibly out of date and seeing as he works
for ACT and is not going to update it (so he told me), I don't see it
as being useful anymore.

Thanks,
Luke.

@ 2007-10-09  3:27     ` Ray Blaak
       [not found]       ` <1191900729.572203.12450@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>
From: Ray Blaak @ 2007-10-09  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucretia <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk> writes:
> I do find it annoying when people don't respond in the right way.

And being annoyed when asking for people to take the effort of helping you is
counterproductive.

You should at least thank them for their help, then clarify in a friendly and
interesting manner.

> Oh, and telling me to use a search engine to find them, where in my
> original post did I ask for existing OS projects in Ada?

Sarcasm is even worse.

I'm not going to help you. Well, not any more anyway. My advice above is
clearly something you can use.

--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.

@ 2007-10-09  6:17     ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-10-09  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Yes, I know. It's not what I asked and it's not what I'm after.

You ask about using GNAT. Those project could give you a start
on how to begin with GNAT.

>I do find it annoying when people don't respond in the right way.

Those on any newsgroup do not spend their time waiting for you to ask
a question. They visit when and only when they want to and they answer
only those post they want to. In some case, the answers may come weeks
later. So, be grateful that any person answers your request, because
they are a few post that are never answered.

>Sending links to already existing projects is not what I want. I'm
>doing this because it's something I want to do, and strangely enough,
>no I don't want to develop a POSIX compliant OS (well not from the
>outset), there are too many already.

Existing project gives you an idea of how to start. As for Posix, well
in MaRTE it is a few packages that are easiy to remove. But in looking
at the Posix packages you could get an idea of how your application
would link to the OS.

Plus unless you spell it out in the orginal post exactly what you want
those who answer may assume information that you are not aware of that
you may need. So, the poster's answers may reflect this.

>Oh, and telling me to use a search engine to find them, where in my
>original post did I ask for existing OS projects in Ada?

From your first post:

  "What exactly would I have to do to GNAT to get this far?"

That question is answered in other OS projects that use GNAT for
the Ada compiler.

As for using a search engine, well that suggest there are other projects
out there. That others posters may give or you could spend a few
minutes and searching for.

So, why did you make the orginal post unless you want help or you want
others to use your code?  Because, people normal wait until that have
finish their project if this is only something they just want to do.

@ 2007-10-09 19:20         ` Ray Blaak
From: Ray Blaak @ 2007-10-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucretia <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk> writes:
> What was the point in posting if you don't answer the question posed?

Sigh. To inform you of something you evidently are not aware of: your bad
behaviour turns people off from helping you.