From: arny@wayback.UUCP (Arny B. Engelson)
Subject: Re: RENAMES?
Date: Wed, 19-Aug-87 08:49:20 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Wed Aug 19 08:49:20 1987

In article <94700003@hcx1>, brucej@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

> RM 8.5(3): "The elaboration of a renaming declaration evaluates the
> name that follows the reserved word _renames_ and thereby determines the
> entity denoted by this name (the renamed entity)."
>
> The RM makes it pretty clear that the value of the renamed object
> should be frozen at elaboration time, and that you should not expect
> to be able to change it's value "behind the rename's back".
>
> So the value of `ren_var' is 1.

I'd like to add one point that may not be clear to all:
The value of the new object can be changed by referencing the original
object.  Referencing the original example:

   replacing:      acc := new integer'(10);
   with:           acc.all := 10;

   would change the value of ren_var to 10 because ren_var and acc.all denote
   the same entity.

Arny B. Engelson    {ihnp4|bonnie|clyde}!wayback!arny