* Pointer on Ada Systems programming?
@ 2007-09-23 23:37 Litestar
From: Litestar @ 2007-09-23 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Specifically for x86 & ARM (Coldfire too if possible)?
I'm looking to do some OS-writing in Ada, and would like any pointers
and/or references that c.l.a has to offer.
Thanks!
 -- LS

* Re: Pointer on Ada Systems programming?
@ 2007-09-24 11:44 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-09-24 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Consider joining the Lovelace OS project: http://www.lovelace.fr,
http://lists.lovelace.fr/

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Pointer on Ada Systems programming?
@ 2007-09-24 12:20 ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-09-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem of trying solve your question is what type of OS programming
are you talking about:

Writing modules or device drives.  Creating Ada packages such as
SDL binding, or BLAS, just to name two.

Or trying to write an Ada OS or adding to an existing one. Some like
Toy_Lovelace (0x86 only) project exist, but have no files to show. Only
a mailing list. Now, others like MaRTE OS or RTEMS OS are up and
running with some projects finished while others are on going,
or just getting started.

So we need more info!

@ 2007-09-24 13:18   ` Litestar
From: Litestar @ 2007-09-24 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 24, 8:20 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> The problem of trying solve your question is what type of OS programming
> are you talking about:
>
> Writing modules or device drives.  Creating Ada packages such as
> SDL binding, or BLAS, just to name two.
>
> Or trying to write an Ada OS or adding to an existing one. Some like
> Toy_Lovelace (0x86 only) project exist, but have no files to show. Only
> a mailing list. Now, others like MaRTE OS or RTEMS OS are up and
> running with some projects finished while others are on going,
> or just getting started.
>
> So we need more info!
>
> In <1190590651.113335.46...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,  Litestar <lites...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >Specifically for x86 & ARM (Coldfire too if possible)?
> >I'm looking to do some OS-writing in Ada, and would like any pointers
> >and/or references that c.l.a has to offer.
> >Thanks!
> > -- LS

I'm looking to write a small/minimal OS in Ada, so any tips/references
from device drivers down...
I believe that I once had an email "conversation" with Frederic Boyer
about Lovelace OS...

* Re: Pointer on Ada Systems programming?
@ 2007-09-24 16:14   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-09-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon wrote in his usual style:
> Or trying to write an Ada OS or adding to an existing one. Some like
> Toy_Lovelace (0x86 only)

Wrong. It is x86 and PowerPC 32-bit at the moment, with PowerPC 64-bit
on the way.

> project exist, but have no files to show.

Wrong. The files are under revision control in Monotone; see
http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html. There is an experimental
web front-end at http://www.ada-france.org:8081/ which is not
accessible from behind most firewalls.

> Only
> a mailing list. Now, others like MaRTE OS or RTEMS OS are up and
> running with some projects finished while others are on going,
> or just getting started.
>
> So we need more info!

Ask on the list.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Pointer on Ada Systems programming?
@ 2007-09-24 22:36     ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-09-24 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try MaRTE ( x86 )   http://marte.unican.es/

or

try RTEMS ( x86, Coldfire )  http://www.rtems.com/

These two OS system are classified as RTOS, with a number of device
drivers and have POSIX API profiles! And both are supported by the
GNAT Ada compiler.

Note: Both sites have documentation for their OS in English.

Also, both systems can be run under BOCHS. So you do not need to supply
a floppy or disk partitions to use them unless you want to. The BOCHS
system protect the hardware from software modifications or errors that
might damage the computer. And it halts the concept of rebooting to switch
OS until your ready for a test drive.

For BOCHS:   http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

As for Toy_Lovelace well the project web sites has yet to include any
files or links to files. So to me, the project is still in its initialization
stages.