From: Adrian Hoe <abyhoe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Current status of Ada?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:15:43 -0000
Date: 2007-09-17T09:15:43+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi lou,

I agree with you that most of the links you can find on Ada websites
are dead, these includes some Ada links in my website. Honestly, I
don't have the time to make sure every links in my website are still
up and alive out there. That's the problem. Even some links from other
websites to my Ada projects page became dead after I moved my website
to Wordpress with some remake of uri. It is difficult to keep track of
what one links to and from.

About the compiler, AdaCore has contributed a free gnat compiler to
gnu. It is totally free but users have the option to choose to buy a
license or support seat from AdaCore for support and getting some
"deadly" compiler bugs eliminated.

The reason why compilers maker can't make their compiler totally free
is very reason behind the complex market. SImply, there is not enough
rewards for the compiler makers to open up entirely their compiler to
the free market.

Company like AdaCore and Aonix are major Ada compiler makers. They
have very steep market niche. Their customers are the world's most
advanced software developers and heavy industrial company, e.g.
Lockheed Martin, Boeing, BAE, and etc. Small and mid sized software
development company and one-man shop will not be an interesting profit
maker for AdaCore and Aonix and usually do not play very much
important role and can be neglected somehow.

Take AdaCore for instance, open up the entire compiler market for gnat
by giving free compiler has just become a commitment to the software
development community and not a profit generating activity. A one-man
shop (like me), does not very often need to deal with serious compiler
problems and bugs and most often will not encounter one. One-man shop
can get some of the design problem solved by posting questions to a
usenet like c.l.a. or searching the usenet for already there answers.

Recently, Aonix, another major player has opened up by offering free
compiler to Linux community. Aonix has been providing free compiler
(ObjectAda) to Windows platforms since many years ago. Aonix packages
the best IDE and Ada compiler suite into ObjectAda. But again, Aonix
is still not opening entire ObjectAda to the free market. Simply
because there will be no interest in profit generation. Aonix has a
better advantage over AdaCore is that Aonix offers other suites of
development tools such as StP, TeleUSE, and etc.

People, like me, who has been used to gnat will get lock into gnat
because of compiler specific packages like the gnat packages which are
not very well supported by ObjectAda. Otherwise, the Ada source can be
easily compiled by any Ada compilers. Aonix and AdaCore are just a tip
of the iceberg.

If you look into Apple's business model, you will find Apple is more
successful in open up their development tool to the free market. Apple
has been shipping its integrated development tool, xcode, since Mac OS
X. And recently, as I read from a mailing list, Apple has integrated
gnat 4.0 to its recent xcode release. I still have not get a
confirmation from the mailing list. Can anyone confirm the Apple's
integration? Developers can develop software using xcode for free.
That opens up a very interesting market for Apple. More and more very
nice applications, utilities and widgets have become available to Mac
users for free or for a fee. In return, Apple is rewarded with more
hardware sales. This business model is not applicable and will never
become viable to AdaCore, Aonix and as well as anyother Ada compiler
makers. Sadly to say that.

But on the other hand, you still can use gnat to develop software and
sell. How? You can sell services like, installation, maintenance,
support, training, upgrades and etc which come with your free
application. Or you can sell a hardware which runs a free software
developed using gnat compiler. Company like D-Link has been a
successful example. D-Link sells their routers which have open source
firewall and router software embedded inside their hardware. This way,
you will not violate any GPL or GPL related license which gnat is
released with. This is the whole new approach of software development
industry to generate profit.

In fact, we can see the future as software will be free for everyone.
You just have to pay for the services that you need. If you don't need
that, you just don't have to pay.
--
Adrian Hoe
http://adrianhoe.net