From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.tsoh+bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Compiling Ada from another directory
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:01:36 +0200
Date: 2007-09-13T01:01:40+02:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 14:59 -0700, rotinom wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm working with a build tool that pretty much requires me
> to build from a single directory, and I'd like to place the objects in
> another directory.  This has proven great with everything else, but
> when it comes to Ada, I'm hitting a brick wall.

(Maybe this is an effect of assuming that you need to use
similar build tools ;-)

> It would seem that I'm missing a command line switch or something
> here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems you are using GNAT. The easiest way to organize
your files into directories of your choice is to create
a minimal project file. The project file will have phrases
such as,

project MyProject is

  For Source_Dirs use (...);
  For Object_Dir use ...;

After you have the project file myproject.gpr , run
$ gnatmake -Pmyproject
or make it part of your build setup. This will read and
write files where you want them.

See
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn_unw/Introduction.html#Introduction

Switches on the command line will work, too, but they create
too much noise and complications for my taste, so I hesitate
to mention them.