From: michael.mcnett@usma.edu
Subject: Re: Java-Ada 2005 Syntax / Language Features Comparisons
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:08:00 -0700
Date: 2007-08-10T19:08:00-07:00	[thread overview]

John,
During the previous several semesters this CS2 course did the same
thing that I am doing now, except the book used in those semesters
used C++.  From personal experience, it actually worked quite well for
both CS and non-CS students.  Yes, it is challenging to them when they
first start reading the book and try to implement its concepts in a
different language.  By the middle of the semester, however, they
realize that the fundamentals of the languages are quite similar.

The Spring semester will be a good indicator to see if moving to the
Java-based book for CS2 helps them in their CS3 course.  I should
clarify what I meant by us not teaching them Java.  We don't just
"dump a new language on them" without any assistance (although that's
what my earlier post made it sound).  There is plenty of in-class work
between the instructor and the students that helps them understand the
fundamentals of Java.  I'd be very interested in hearing more about
the guidance you provide on "... how "experienced" programmers learn a
new language."

Our approach described in the earlier post is meant to give them the
opportunity to explore Ada more fully in this CS2 course while
simultaneously giving them familiarity with a language they will be
using in CS3.  There is no expectation that they would actually be
able to design and implement an application in Java after this CS2
course.

> We teach Ada in both CS1 and CS2.  We teach algorithmic problem
> solving in CS1 and move to an OO approach in CS2.  We switch to Java
> in CS3 where patterns are the goal.

It certainly sounds like our CS1, 2, and 3 courses are quite similar
based on this.

Mike