From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Java-Ada 2005 Syntax / Language Features Comparisons
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:44:11 -0700
Date: 2007-08-08T23:44:11-07:00	[thread overview]

On 8 Sie, 22:28, michael.mcn...@usma.edu wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a reference card or short document that shows
> equivalent Ada syntax and language features with those of Java.
>
> Students could use this to understand data structure concepts written
> in a book using Java, and then implement these concepts in code using
> Ada 2005.  These students are CS majors and will have already taken a
> course in Ada.

If they are CS majors, then they should be able to think in terms of
abstracts and should not need such primitive cheat-sheets for 1:1
translations between languages.

I would even go further and say that the whole idea is broken at the
start. Java is reference-oriented whereas Ada is value-oriented, which
has significant consequences in how high-level concepts like
composition and aggregation are expressed in code - this goes much
further than syntax differences. Teaching people to recode some stuff
using "syntax equivalents" is a Bad Idea.

Just my 0.05 Euro.

--
Maciej Sobczak
http://www.msobczak.com/