* Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays: Problem with Transpose
@ 2007-07-27  8:59 Ken Thomas
From: Ken Thomas @ 2007-07-27  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is an error in the transpose function in the library
Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays in the GNAT GPL 2007 edition; it
returns the matrix unchanged not the transpose. I am using the windows
version.

I discovered it after getting some strange results in my Finite
Element code, other users should check their code.

A workaround is trivial and I have reported it to Adacore.

In other respects, this library is a valuable contribution for those
involved in numerical computation.

Ken

* Re: Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays: Problem with Transpose
@ 2007-07-27  9:52 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2007-07-27  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-07-27, Ken Thomas <kst@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

|"[..]                                                                 |
|[..] I have reported it to Adacore.                                   |
|[..]"                                                                 |

Thanks. Has Ada Core Technologies acknowledged that it will fix it
soon? It has a reputation for not giving bug reports which are not
part of a paid support contract prompt conclusions.

* Re: Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays: Problem with Transpose
@ 2007-08-01  8:46   ` Ken Thomas
From: Ken Thomas @ 2007-08-01  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 27, 10:52 am, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
wrote:
> On 2007-07-27, Ken Thomas <k...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |"[..]                                                                 |
> |                                                                      |
> |[..] I have reported it to Adacore.                                   |
> |                                                                      |
> |[..]"                                                                 |
> |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
> Thanks. Has Ada Core Technologies acknowledged that it will fix it
> soon? It has a reputation for not giving bug reports which are not
> part of a paid support contract prompt conclusions.

The GPL edition (2007) only gets limited support :-(

@ 2007-08-01 12:14     ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-08-01 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Thomas wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:52 am, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
> wrote:
>> On 2007-07-27, Ken Thomas <k...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
>> |"[..]                                                                 |
>> |                                                                      |
>> |[..] I have reported it to Adacore.                                   |
>> |                                                                      |
>> |[..]"                                                                 |
>> |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
>>
>> Thanks. Has Ada Core Technologies acknowledged that it will fix it
>> soon? It has a reputation for not giving bug reports which are not
>> part of a paid support contract prompt conclusions.
>
> The GPL edition (2007) only gets limited support :-(
> Ken

Well, of course there are no wavefronts for the GPL edition to fix bug
reports but big errors like this are almost always fixed in the next GPL
release even if they are only submitted via non-supported users.

In general the problem (if there is one) is really just the lack of
transparency for non-supported users..Not so much the lack of looking at
the issues.

* Re: Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays: Problem with Transpose
@ 2007-08-01 15:14     ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2007-08-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Thomas <kst@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> On Jul 27, 10:52 am, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
> wrote:
>> On 2007-07-27, Ken Thomas <k...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
>> |"[..]                                                                 |
>> |                                                                      |
>> |[..] I have reported it to Adacore.                                   |
>> |                                                                      |

>> Thanks. Has Ada Core Technologies acknowledged that it will fix it
>> soon? It has a reputation for not giving bug reports which are not
>> part of a paid support contract prompt conclusions.
>
> The GPL edition (2007) only gets limited support :-(
> Ken

Well, as it happens, the bug was fixed in AdaCore's internal
version a few days ago.

- Bob