* Thanks Guys: Re: Predefined Packages
@ 2007-06-15  9:28 anon
From: anon @ 2007-06-15  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the info. I knew that Gnat had too many packages with in
it structure.

   And after finding a number of packages in GNAT that initially do not
work.  An example is the "System.Partition_Interface" or files
"s-parint.adb" and "s-parint.ads" which should allow one to read the
partitioning tables but GNAT says this is a dummy package unless
you download another of its many software packages that contains
an replacement package. Why include this package in the first place
just include it in the extra software package only.  So I decide to ask
the question.

  Again Thanks guys!

* Re: Thanks Guys: Re: Predefined Packages
@ 2007-06-16  7:12 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-06-16  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anon

anon a �crit :
>    And after finding a number of packages in GNAT that initially do not
> work.  An example is the "System.Partition_Interface" or files
> "s-parint.adb" and "s-parint.ads" which should allow one to read the
> partitioning tables but GNAT says this is a dummy package unless
> you download another of its many software packages that contains
> an replacement package. Why include this package in the first place
> just include it in the extra software package only.  So I decide to ask
> the question.

Just for completeness of the runtime system. This is a common practice.
You provide the API, the runtime use it but the default implementation
is empty, doing nothing. The secondary package GLADE in this case will
add support for the distributed annex (Annex-E) and will so provide
proper implementation for this API. Frankly I don't see what puzzle you...

Pascal.

PS: BTW you are still posting anonymously, you don't even sign your
messages, this is not good netiquette. At least consider signing your
message with your first name!

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: Thanks Guys: Re: Predefined Packages
@ 2007-06-16 16:25 ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2007-06-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 15, 5:28 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I knew that Gnat had too many packages with in
> it structure.
>
>    And after finding a number of packages in GNAT that initially do not
> work.  An example is the "System.Partition_Interface" or files
> "s-parint.adb" and "s-parint.ads" which should allow one to read the
> partitioning tables but GNAT says this is a dummy package unless
> you download another of its many software packages that contains
> an replacement package. Why include this package in the first place
> just include it in the extra software package only.  So I decide to ask
> the question.

Hard to tell from what you wrote here.  I seem to be missing the first
part of the conversation.

Anyway, Partition_Interface is about Ada Annex E partitions in
distributed systems.  It would be pretty useless to have the
functional version if your system isn't configured with Annex E (i.e.
Glade).  Glade is available.  If you want to check it out, go get it.
Perhaps you're thinking this package has something to do with disk
partitions?  This isn't the case.

Other library stubs are there for similar reasons.

Having the functional code in the libarary would be pure bloat.
Having stubs can be useful.  For example, you can compile and run some
Annex E code on a machine without Annex E.

I agree that the existence of the stubs is not well-documented.  A
compiler warning would be nice.

Yes the GNAT package structure is fine-grained, but I diagree that the
system has "too many packages."  The packages are for the most part
nicely aligned with the objects or logical constructs they handle
(i.e. sections of the ALRM).  If you have a reasonable environment,
the number and size of packages ought not to be worth worrying about.

* Re: Thanks Guys: Re: Predefined Packages
@ 2007-07-26 10:15 ` tzpsky
From: tzpsky @ 2007-07-26 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 15, 5:28 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I knew that Gnat had too many packages with in
> it structure.
>
>    And after finding a number of packages in GNAT that initially do not
> work.  An example is the "System.Partition_Interface" or files
> "s-parint.adb" and "s-parint.ads" which should allow one to read the
> partitioning tables but GNAT says this is a dummy package unless
> you download another of its many software packages that contains
> an replacement package. Why include this package in the first place
> just include it in the extra software package only.  So I decide to ask
> the question.
>
>   Again Thanks guys!

a>
ISK</a>
ISK</a>
a>
Money</a>
Money</a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
WoW Gold</a>
WoW Gold</a>
of Warcraft Gold</a>
c-51.html">Warcraft Gold</a>
a>
a>
adena</a>
adena</a>
adena</a>
a>
Mesos</a>
Mesos</a>
Mesos</a>
Story Mesos</a>
Plat</a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
Plat</a>
Plat</a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
Gil</a>
Gil</a>
Fantasy XI Gil</a>
Online Gold</a>
Gold</a>
Gold</a>
SilkRoad Gold</a>
Online Gold</a>
SilkRoad Online Gold</a>
Powerleveling</a>
Power leveling</a>
WoW Power leveling</a>
WoW Powerleveling</a>
c-53.html">Cheap WoW Powerleveling</a>
c-93.html">Lotro Gold</a>
c-93.html">Buy Lotro Gold</a>
c-93.html">Cheap Lotro Gold</a>
c-90.html">Runescape Powerleveling</a>
Runescape Powerleveling</a>
c-99.html">Lotro Powerleveling</a>
c-99.html">Buy Lotro Powerleveling</a>
c-97.html">Lineage 2 Powerleveling</a>
c-97.html">LineageII Powerleveling</a>
c-78.html">Vanguard saga of heroes Gold</a>
c-78.html">Vanguard Gold</a>
Vanguard Gold</a>
Vanguard Gold</a>