* Ada book recommendation from a newbie
@ 2007-05-31 12:07 ezkcdude
From: ezkcdude @ 2007-05-31 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not asking for a recommendation. Rather, I just wanted to say that
I started reading the Ben-Ari book "Ada for Software Engineers" (ASE),
and I really like it. I had been reading Barnes' Ada 95 book, while
informative, it wasn't really that fun to read. For whatever reason,
Ben-Ari has a really nice writing style, which is all the more
interesting given he is Israeli (AFAIK). I say this having been raised
by my father, who also happens to be Israeli. Anyway, that aside, I'd
highly recommend ASE for experienced programmers who want to dive in
to Ada to see what it's all about. You have nothing to lose,
literally. The book is available for free online in pdf format. I also
took a look at one of his other books, "Understanding Programming
Languages", and that one looks good, too. Have any of you read the Ben-
Ari books? I'm especially interested to hear opinions about his
latest, "Principles of Concurrent and Distributed Programming" (2006).

* Re: Ada book recommendation from a newbie
@ 2007-06-01  4:13 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2007-06-01  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 31, 5:07 am, ezkcdude <zamir.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not asking for a recommendation. Rather, I just wanted to say that
> I started reading the Ben-Ari book "Ada for Software Engineers" (ASE),
> and I really like it.

Great tip! I've downloaded it and spent the last hour reading, and I'm
tending to agree with you. I've already learned a couple of new
things.

However, the code download from http://stwww.weizmann.ac.il/g-cs/benari/books/#ase
unzips on my computer into a bunch of (Chapter-numbered) empty
folders. Does this download work for anyone else?

Jerry

* Re: Ada book recommendation from a newbie
@ 2007-06-01  4:24   ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2007-06-01  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 31, 9:13 pm, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> However, the code download fromhttp://stwww.weizmann.ac.il/g-cs/benari/books/#ase
> unzips on my computer into a bunch of (Chapter-numbered) empty
> folders.
>
> Jerry

Sorry--computer gremlins. The archive looks OK.

Jerry

* Re: Ada book recommendation from a newbie
@ 2007-06-01  5:01 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2007-06-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would recomend to have a look on all the papers at
   "http://www.adacore.com/category/developers-center/technologies/ada/"
Since they covers Ada (Ada2005) the current incarantion of Ada.

/Per

@ 2007-06-01 18:53   ` ezkcdude
From: ezkcdude @ 2007-06-01 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 31, 11:13 pm, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> On May 31, 5:07 am, ezkcdude <zamir.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not asking for a recommendation. Rather, I just wanted to say that
> > I started reading the Ben-Ari book "Ada for Software Engineers" (ASE),
> > and I really like it.
>
> Great tip! I've downloaded it and spent the last hour reading, and I'm
> tending to agree with you. I've already learned a couple of new
> things.
>
> However, the code download fromhttp://stwww.weizmann.ac.il/g-cs/benari/books/#ase
> unzips on my computer into a bunch of (Chapter-numbered) empty
> folders. Does this download work for anyone else?
>
> Jerry

I've been trying to run the case study from 3.1 (Justify.ada), and it
doesn't seem to do anything to the file example.tex. I'm using GPS.

* Re: Ada book recommendation from a newbie
@ 2007-06-01 19:08     ` ezkcdude
From: ezkcdude @ 2007-06-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 1:53 pm, ezkcdude <zamir.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 11:13 pm, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
> > On May 31, 5:07 am, ezkcdude <zamir.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not asking for a recommendation. Rather, I just wanted to say that
> > > I started reading the Ben-Ari book "Ada for Software Engineers" (ASE),
> > > and I really like it.
>
> > Great tip! I've downloaded it and spent the last hour reading, and I'm
> > tending to agree with you. I've already learned a couple of new
> > things.
>
> > However, the code download fromhttp://stwww.weizmann.ac.il/g-cs/benari/books/#ase
> > unzips on my computer into a bunch of (Chapter-numbered) empty
> > folders. Does this download work for anyone else?
>
> > Jerry
>
> I've been trying to run the case study from 3.1 (Justify.ada), and it
> doesn't seem to do anything to the file example.tex. I'm using GPS.

Never mind the last post. I needed to use gnatchop.