From: aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP
Subject: Re: Procedure Parameters in Ada
Date: Sun, 8-Jun-86 15:11:00 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Sun Jun  8 15:11:00 1986

>With the declaration mechanism available in Algol 68, it is possible
>to declare "a procedure that has two parameters: an integer and a
>procedure that has two parameters: an integer and a procedure that
>has two parameters ..." ad infinitum, which is required for strong
>type-checking of procedure parameters.  Understand that
>type equivalence in Algol 68 means structural equivalence,
>while type equivalence in Ada means name equivalence -- thus
>type-checking is much simpler in Ada.
>
>Donn Milton

Thank you for the reference; I will have to chase it up. Please excuse
me, then, if I ask if type equivalennce by name is not possible in a
recursive type-mode system?

Ie. for the recursion above, couldn't something like

	type procIrec = procedure ( integer i; procIrec p ) ;

be permissible, and also stop the expansion of the type indefinitely?
And, more importantly, be distinct from

	type otherprocIrec = procedure ( integer i; procIrec p ) ;

which is structurally, but not name, equivalent.

?

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms