From: JPWoodruff@gmail.com
Subject: Re: is it safe do adopt CORBA?
Date: 18 May 2007 13:11:23 -0700
Date: 2007-05-18T13:11:23-07:00	[thread overview]

On May 18, 11:19 am, "marcelo.bat...@gmail.com"
<marcelo.bat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
>         I'm diving into the development of a generic framework for build
> business applications in Ada.

I'd like to tell you about the Integrated Computer Control System that
controls the National Ignition Facility laser at Lawrence Livermore
National Lab.  The laser, which is nearing completion, is used for
research on inertial confinement nuclear fusion.  This multi-billion
dollar facility will be used for several decades.

The control system software is written in Ada and Java, and is
distributed over some 600 computers using CORBA.  The ICCS team
developed a software framework of tools and patterns for building the
large number of FEPs and supervisory systems.  The system meets its
requirements.

There are several published accounts of the software system, including
my own papers in SigAda 1998 and 2002.  I worked on the ICCS software
framework from its inception until I retired 5 years ago.  More recent
reports have appeared in ICALEPCS conferences starting in 2001.

John Woodruff