From: "marcelo.batera@gmail.com" <marcelo.batera@gmail.com>
Subject: is it safe do adopt CORBA?
Date: 18 May 2007 10:19:27 -0700
Date: 2007-05-18T10:19:27-07:00	[thread overview]

Hello there,

	I'm diving into the development of a generic framework for build
business applications in Ada. I know there are thousands of system
like that in other languages and I've actually worked with one of
these tools (OFBiz.org) for over one year and a half. But those
systems tend to be slow and performance is one of our highest
requirements.

	We are going to build a BI application with this framework for a big
company (and this application might become a complete ERP solution in
the future), so we need the system to be efficient. It's also going to
be a distributed application due to the internal organization of the
company's departments and their own IT systems.

  For this reason we are tending to go for CORBA but all the articles
I found on the web about it have made us worry about this decision.

  Some of those articles even say CORBA is dead and claims SOAP is a
better replacement, sometimes giving some techinical "advantages" of
SOAP over CORBA. Not only those supposed advantages seemed
questionable but they wouldn't be reason enough for us to run away
from this middleware. Also, we need efficiency (something SOAP doesn't
give us) and the possibility to interact with other languages (such as
Java) over the network (something annex e doesn't provide us) and even
the integration with the user's desktop (gnome uses intensively CORBA
in it's very core) is very tempting.

  But still there is this hype about CORBA being dead and that's
something that really worry us. What's your oppinion about this? Is
there other middleware that I haven't noticed we could use that's
better suited for this kind of application?

  I'm asking this in this list because our main language is going to
be Ada.