From: Lucretia <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Cohen: "Ada As A Second Language" - 05 Update?
Date: 4 May 2007 08:01:59 -0700
Date: 2007-05-04T08:01:59-07:00	[thread overview]

On May 4, 3:33 am, <adawo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "Lucretia" <lucret...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> news:1178149620.087751.309640@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...> On Apr 27, 2:34 pm, PnkFlyd <pnkflyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I sent an email to Norman Cohen a while back about an update to the
> > book, here's his reply:
>
> 1) Cohen's book is not really "out-of-date."  While it does not
>     cover some of the new features of the latest version of Ada,
>     it does cover the features of the largest revision of the language,
>     to date.   Everything in the Cohen book will still work.

I never said it was out of date, I said it was out of print. Big
difference!

Also, with it being out of print, the cost of the book is hugely
inflated, over here it's at least £70, not necessarily for a new copy!

> 2) John Barnes has written a book on Ada 2005.  That book is quite
>     comprehensive.   It is published by Addison-Wesley, and anything
>     you need to update your knowledge of Ada is in that book.  The
>     criticism of Barnes' book has sometimes been that the examples
>     are not as fully coded as in the Cohen book.   Dr. Barnes has
>     addressed that criticism and you will find some fully coded examples.

The thing I've heard about the Cohen book is that is supposedly covers
in detail how a runtime could be written for an Ada compiler. I doubt
that this can be said about the Barnes book.

Luke.