* Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20  3:31 Nick
From: Nick @ 2007-04-20  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
   I am wondering what people recommend when it comes to learning Ada?
I know that Ada 2005 is around now so what do people advise? Learning
Ada 2005 or Ada 95?

Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
few languages.

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20  4:40 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-04-20  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick wrote:

>    I am wondering what people recommend when it comes to learning Ada?
> I know that Ada 2005 is around now so what do people advise? Learning
> Ada 2005 or Ada 95?

Right now abundant materials for Ada 95 exist, while there is not such a
choice for Ada. The differences aren't that great. Once you've learned
Ada 95, something like the Rationale will probably cover what you need
for the new features and changes.

> Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
> of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> few languages.

In pring, Cohen's book is good. On line, you might start out with /Ada
Distilled/.

--
Jeff Carter
"C++ is like giving an AK-47 to a monk, shooting him

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20  7:09 ` Pascal Obry
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-04-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick

Nick a �crit :
> Hello,
>    I am wondering what people recommend when it comes to learning Ada?
> I know that Ada 2005 is around now so what do people advise? Learning
> Ada 2005 or Ada 95?

I like a lot:

   Ada as a second language
   2nd edition
   Norman Cohen
   => Ada95

   Programming in Ada 2005
   John Barnes

   Concurrency in Ada
   Alan Burns, Andy Wellings

The last one covers the concurrency aspect of Ada, only that but this is
so well written it's must to me.

> Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
> of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> few languages.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20  7:10 ` Maciej Sobczak
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2007-04-20  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick wrote:

> Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good.

Buy this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-2005-International-Computer-Science/dp/0321340787

I have enjoyed it a lot, even though I'm far from being an unconditional
Ada enthusiast.

> I am at the end
> of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> few languages.

Then you will appreciate this book even more, because it does not waste
time explaining the obvious.

When it comes to online materials, unfortunately most of what I've seen
is junk. One notable exception is the Ada Wikibook:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-20 10:42 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2007-04-20 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 19, 8:31 pm, Nick <youngzhugeli...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    I am wondering what people recommend when it comes to learning Ada?

I also love Cohen's book--one of the best computer-related books I've
seen, for my way of learning, at least. Ada as a Second Language,
Second Edition, Norman H. Cohen.

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20 15:06   ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2007-04-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 20, 2:09 am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> I like a lot:
>
>    Ada as a second language
>    2nd edition
>    Norman Cohen
>    => Ada95

This is also my preferred Ada 95 reference book, particularly because
it has greater coverage of representation clauses and other topics of
interest to the embedded systems programmer. Unfortunately the price
of a new copy has risen in price from $80 USD to over $130 USD within
the last two years.

I hope the author can update it for Ada 2005. I'd buy a 3rd edition if
it were available.

Britt

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-20 18:26   ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2007-04-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The last one covers the concurrency aspect of Ada, only that but this is
> so well written it's must to me.
>
> > Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
> > of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> > few languages.
>
> Pascal.

Actually Pascal was my first langauge so I feel rather at home with
the way Ada looks.

So the Ada as a Second Lanauge is worth the $80 right?

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-21 15:57     ` Ali Bendriss
From: Ali Bendriss @ 2007-04-21 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Nick

You may as well have a look at you college library. Those books are probably
already there. And if not, you should ask the librarian to buy them all.
It's important.

Ali

On Friday 20 April 2007 19:26, Nick wrote:
> > The last one covers the concurrency aspect of Ada, only that but this is
> > so well written it's must to me.
> >
> > > Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
> > > of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> > > few languages.
> >
> > Pascal.
>
> Actually Pascal was my first langauge so I feel rather at home with
> the way Ada looks.
>
> So the Ada as a Second Lanauge is worth the $80 right?

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-21 19:41 ` jtg
From: jtg @ 2007-04-21 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am wondering what people recommend when it comes to learning Ada?
> I know that Ada 2005 is around now so what do people advise? Learning
> Ada 2005 or Ada 95?
>
> Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good. I am at the end
> of my 2nd year in college for Computer Science so I am decent with a
> few languages.

"Ada as a Second Language" is also my favourite book. There are many
useful comparisons with other languages, stressing both similarities (to
get the ideas faster) and differences (to avoid programming habits not
suitable for Ada). Perfect book if you already know a few languages.

Now I am waiting for Ada 2005 version of the book.

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-22 12:04 ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2007-04-22 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Most importantly I'm looking for a book that is good.

As a second year student you may find some of the Ada textbooks more
to your liking than the good trade books already mentioned.  I'll
suggest (with a great deal of bias)

Programming and Problem Solving with Ada 95
Dale, Weems, and McCormick
Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2000

Ada Plus Data Structures: An Object-Oriented Approach
(uses Ada 2005)
Dale and McCormick
Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2007

I wrote these for the CS1 and CS2 courses.  Each chapter has one or
two case studies, each with design and complete programs.  I go
through both books in a course for 2nd year students with a Java or C+
+ background.

John

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-04-22 18:52   ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2007-04-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From what I want to do with it I decided to go with "Ada as a Second
Language." I ordered it and now can't wait for it to come (The library
on my campus has a grand total of 0 Ada related books and our CS lab
has on really old one which i think goes over Ada83).

Thank you everyone for you help.

* Re: Book for Learning Ada
@ 2007-05-04 15:54     ` ezkcdude
From: ezkcdude @ 2007-05-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 22, 1:52 pm, Nick <youngzhugeli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From what I want to do with it I decided to go with "Ada as a Second
>
> Language." I ordered it and now can't wait for it to come (The library
> on my campus has a grand total of 0 Ada related books and our CS lab
> has on really old one which i think goes over Ada83).
>
> Thank you everyone for you help.

I also checked out the '95 edition of Concurrency in Ada, but am
waiting to buy the '07 version, "Concurrency and Real-time Programming
in Ada" by Burns and Welling. That should be a good one, right?