* about license  price
@ 2007-04-11 19:51 Lionel Draghi
From: Lionel Draghi @ 2007-04-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

A colleague told me about per-run-time fee for an Aonix compiler, on
Windows, targetting Windows.

It sounds unusual to me, did someone heard about such a price policy?

--
Lionel Draghi

* Re: about license  price
@ 2007-04-11 22:17 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-04-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 21:51 +0200, Lionel Draghi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A colleague told me about per-run-time fee for an Aonix compiler, on
> Windows, targetting Windows.
>
> It sounds unusual to me, did someone heard about such a price policy?

Hmm, since there are three editions targetting Windows hosted on
windows, differing in support level and
http://www.aonix.de/objectada_prod_matrix.html
there might be different licensing models. Anyway, according to at
least one license document, the Quantity of Executive Licenses and
Package Program Licenses is unlimited for ObjectAda Native.
This roughly means RTS in bound programs in usenet speak if my
understanding is correct.

A small section from the license that I received with the software
some time ago reads (it's probably best to just ask Aonix; the actual
license is of course between You and Aonix, so perhaps this isn't
relevant anyway):
  "... (a) use the Executive Programs on one Target Computer
in the possession of Licensee, or (b) include all or part of the
Executive Programs into an Application Software Program that may
be marketed to a third party (...), provided that the Executive
Programs are not made visible to the end-user (...) and provided
the Aonix copyright is included on the media."

The text speaks of a flexible licensing mechanism, too, in case
you have many network "nodes", i.e. a number of programmers each
running a development computer with the tools installed. Licensing
is then controlled by the number of "tokens" purchased. Again,
this information may be outdated. Ask Aonix. There is also a
public mailing list for ObjectAda.

FWIW, when I run an 8.2 compiler and tools for Windows they
require a connection to a license manager service.