* Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-11  6:16 korayem.m
From: korayem.m @ 2007-02-11  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all
i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming

can anyone guide me, give me resources -books tutotials- or anything
can help me

Thank you all in advance

* Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-11  6:16 korayem.m
From: korayem.m @ 2007-02-11  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all
i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming

can anyone guide me, give me resources -books tutotials- or anything
can help me

Thank you all in advance

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-11  7:39 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2007-02-11  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

korayem.m@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all
> i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming

Googling for "Ada embedded programming" will give you a lot of relevant
references. Do you have any specific questions?

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-11 20:00   ` Korayem.m
From: Korayem.m @ 2007-02-11 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 11, 9:39 am, Niklas Holsti <niklas.hol...@nospam.please> wrote:
> koraye...@gmail.com wrote:
> > hi all
> > i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming
>
> Googling for "Ada embedded programming" will give you a lot of relevant
> references. Do you have any specific questions?
>
> --
> Niklas Holsti
> Tidorum Ltd
> niklas holsti tidorum fi
>        .      @       .

Yes, I am an undergraduate student in computer science
we will take a course called "Embedde systems" so i want a tutorial or
a book that deals with ada for embedded systems and a mini project to
use ada in it

can i get a help in that?

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-11 20:43 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-02-11 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

korayem.m@gmail.com wrote:

> i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming
>
> can anyone guide me, give me resources -books tutotials- or anything
> can help me

I've successfully done a fair amount of embedded, real-time, concurrent
SW in Ada. I've never approached it any differently from any other
application domain, though the timing requirements are sometimes
stricter. The important thing is being able to use Ada well. So the 1st
question is, how well do you know Ada?

--
Jeff Carter
"Many times we're given rhymes that are quite unsingable."

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-12 10:37   ` Korayem.m
From: Korayem.m @ 2007-02-12 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 11, 10:43 pm, "Jeffrey R. Carter" <jrcar...@acm.org> wrote:
> koraye...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming
>
> > can anyone guide me, give me resources -books tutotials- or anything
> > can help me
>
> I've successfully done a fair amount of embedded, real-time, concurrent
> SW in Ada. I've never approached it any differently from any other
> application domain, though the timing requirements are sometimes
> stricter. The important thing is being able to use Ada well. So the 1st
> question is, how well do you know Ada?
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Many times we're given rhymes that are quite unsingable."
> Monty Python and the Holy Grail
> 57

Well i do not know ada at all, but i am good in programming

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-12 15:37     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-02-12 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Korayem.m wrote:

> Well i do not know ada at all, but i am good in programming

Then I suggest you learn Ada before you start asking about its use in
specific application domains. You can find on-line texts and tutorials
at adapower.com and adaworld.com. For a quick introduction, you might
want to start with Ada Distilled.

--
Jeff Carter
"So if I understand 'The Matrix Reloaded' correctly, the Matrix is

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-12 16:20       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-02-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 12, 4:37 pm, "Jeffrey R. Carter" <jrcar...@acm.org> wrote:
> Korayem.m wrote:
>
> > Well i do not know ada at all, but i am good in programming
>
> Then I suggest you learn Ada before you start asking about its use in
> specific application domains. You can find on-line texts and tutorials
> at adapower.com and adaworld.com. For a quick introduction, you might
> want to start with Ada Distilled.

And after you've learned about Ada, most of what you want to know
regarding your particular host and target is probably part of the
compiler's documentation. If you're unsure which compiler to choose,
start here for a list of available native and cross compilers:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

(the wikibook itself may be a good start for learning the language,
too. Please tell us what you think of it and if we can improve it.)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-12 19:08 ` Francesco Bochicchio
From: Francesco Bochicchio @ 2007-02-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:16:49 -0800, korayem.m ha scritto:

> hi all
> i want to learn how to use ada in embedded system programming
>
> can anyone guide me, give me resources -books tutotials- or anything
> can help me
>

> Thank you all in advance

I have been part of a team developing an ADA application for an embedded
platform consisting of a bare PowerPC-based board without any OS (only a
custom Board Support Library written in C library supporting the board
initialization and I/O operations ).

In these conditions I found quite a few differences wrt developing in ADA
for a standard platform (which I also have done):

- The Ada RunTime is reduced: ours (GMART) was lacking the following (some
  where not include because of safety reasons):
  * tasks
  * exceptions
  * I/O standard library
  * string manipulation libraries
  * dynamic allocation

- The debugging is quite different:
  * You may found that your application has to deal with problems
    that are usually dealt by the OS (depending an how good/complex the
    Board Support Library is)
  * you need special hardware/software to debug remotely the software:
  these tools are helpful but often alter significantly the run conditions
  so that you get debugging-induced errors or are not able to reproduce
  errors that occurs without debugging
  * No text console output : you have to organize your own trace system
  using some I/O channel (in our case we used a serial port not used for
  nominal operations ).

Most of these problems are not ADA-related but have to do with the lack of
a full OS supporting your application, coupled with the fact that
embedded software has often also strict real-time requirements.

P.S : Nobody in the team had significant experience with this kind of
development, hence the experience has been instructive but __VERY__ hard.

Ciao
-----
FB

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-13  8:54   ` Korayem.m
       [not found]     ` <QVwAh.1274$x74.177@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>
From: Korayem.m @ 2007-02-13  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

First thank you all guys for help

now i have an idea
i want to make a phone secure line encrypt voice calls
i mean the system will be PHONE --> scramblerbox --> line -->
scramblerbox --> PHONE
so what i want is to program that "scramblerbox " using ADA.
can you help me in that.

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-13 14:50 ` Mike Silva
From: Mike Silva @ 2007-02-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

To ask a variant of the OP's question, what is the simplest way to get
a single-board computer running Ada?  I've only done Ada on a PC, but
would enjoy fooling around with an Ada SBC to do some realtime  multi-
task projects.  However, I don't have a bunch of time to devote to
getting up and running.  So, what is the closest thing to a turnkey
Ada SBC?  Something running Linux?  Or...?

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-13 17:45     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
       [not found]     ` <QVwAh.1274$x74.177@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-02-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Korayem.m wrote:

> now i have an idea
> i want to make a phone secure line encrypt voice calls
> i mean the system will be PHONE --> scramblerbox --> line -->
> scramblerbox --> PHONE
> so what i want is to program that "scramblerbox " using ADA.
> can you help me in that.

If you have specific questions about implementing such a device in Ada
(which, being a woman's name and not an acronym, is not ADA), most
people here are happy to help (I'm not, but most people here are :).
Just saying you want to implement the scrambler in Ada is too vague to
be able to say anything useful.

Maybe "can you help me" means you're looking for someone to write the SW
for you. That's fine, but even the helpful people here will probably
want some compensation in return. If that's OK with you, I think this is
a perfectly good place to make that kind of offer.

Basically, I'm not sure what specifically you're asking for, and could
be more helpful if I were.

--
Jeff Carter
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK."

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-13 23:18       ` Korayem.m
From: Korayem.m @ 2007-02-13 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 7:45 pm, "Jeffrey R. Carter" <jrcar...@acm.org> wrote:
> Korayem.m wrote:
>
> > now i have an idea
> > i want to make a phone secure line encrypt voice calls
> > i mean the system will be PHONE --> scramblerbox --> line -->
> > scramblerbox --> PHONE
> > so what i want is to program that "scramblerbox " using ADA.
> > can you help me in that.
>
> If you have specific questions about implementing such a device in Ada
> (which, being a woman's name and not an acronym, is not ADA), most
> people here are happy to help (I'm not, but most people here are :).
> Just saying you want to implement the scrambler in Ada is too vague to
> be able to say anything useful.
>
> Maybe "can you help me" means you're looking for someone to write the SW
> for you. That's fine, but even the helpful people here will probably
> want some compensation in return. If that's OK with you, I think this is
> a perfectly good place to make that kind of offer.
>
> Basically, I'm not sure what specifically you're asking for, and could
> be more helpful if I were.
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK."
> Monty Python's Flying Circus
> 54

Sorry if my messages were not understndable but english is not my
first language
and I did not mean that someone make me the SW
I wanted ideas on how to learn Ada fast enough to be able to make my
project, and what to read from where.
that is all what i wanted for now :)

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-14  0:28   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-02-14  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Silva wrote:
> To ask a variant of the OP's question, what is the simplest way to get
> a single-board computer running Ada?  I've only done Ada on a PC, but
> would enjoy fooling around with an Ada SBC to do some realtime  multi-
> task projects.  However, I don't have a bunch of time to devote to
> getting up and running.  So, what is the closest thing to a turnkey
> Ada SBC?  Something running Linux?  Or...?

OP clarified that that this was not his original question but it is
still a valid one. I'd have to say that an x86 based linux system is
going to be the easiest thing to bring up on your own.

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/checkout/customize-system.asp

If that does not feel different enough from a desktop then something
like http://www.modularcircuits.com/hc_at91.htm might be worth a look.

* Re: Ada for embedded
       [not found]     ` <QVwAh.1274$x74.177@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>
@ 2007-02-14 13:08       ` Korayem.m
From: Korayem.m @ 2007-02-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 14, 7:15 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2007 00:54:23 -0800, "Korayem.m" <koraye...@gmail.com>
> declaimed the following in comp.lang.ada:
>
> > First thank you all guys for help
>
> > now i have an idea
> > i want to make a phone secure line encrypt voice calls
> > i mean the system will be PHONE --> scramblerbox --> line -->
> > scramblerbox --> PHONE
> > so what i want is to program that "scramblerbox " using ADA.
> > can you help me in that.
>
>         Uhm... If you mean a really secure system -- even if only half the
> capability of a STU-3... Ada is the least of your difficulties... You'll
> need A/D and D/A circuits, some decision on sampling rate (which is
> partly controlled by processor speed), signal processing logic, modem
> logic to impress your digitized/encrypted signal onto/off-of an analog
> phone line, and a good understanding of how two encryption devices
> authenticate and set-up a common session key.
>
>         If you mean simple stuff like the scramblers some FRS radios
> incorporate -- those are often something like frequency inversion of the
> side-bands, and are mainly analog only; no digital code needed.
>
> --
>         Wulfraed        Dennis Lee Bieber               KD6MOG
>         wlfr...@ix.netcom.com         wulfr...@bestiaria.com
>                 HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>         (Bestiaria Support Staff:               web-a...@bestiaria.com)
>                 HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

Thank you very much
that is what i want to do -like an STU-3

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-14 16:27         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-02-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Korayem.m schrieb:

> Sorry if my messages were not understndable but english is not my
> first language
> and I did not mean that someone make me the SW
> I wanted ideas on how to learn Ada fast enough to be able to make my
> project, and what to read from where.
> that is all what i wanted for now :)

Try our award winning on-line book on Ada first:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming

Martin

* Re: Ada for embedded
@ 2007-02-14 16:34         ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2007-02-14 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Korayem.m wrote:

> Sorry if my messages were not understndable but english is not my
> first language
> and I did not mean that someone make me the SW
> I wanted ideas on how to learn Ada fast enough to be able to make my
> project, and what to read from where.
> that is all what i wanted for now :)

OK. I suggest you look at a couple of the texts or tutorials at
adapower.com or adaworld.com to learn Ada. When you've done that you may
have specific questions about the language or your use of it that we
could answer here.

--
Jeff Carter
"I blow my nose on you."