From: murphy@beatnix.UUCP (Michael Murphy)
Subject: Re: Parameter modes
Date: 21 Nov 88 23:46:12 GMT	[thread overview]

I'm rather baffled by what you are saying.  The LRM does indeed allow you
to pass parameters by reference, and in fact I know of some (validated)
compilers that do.  For example, all Verdix-based compilers can pass
parameters by reference.  I suspect that you have simply heard some lame
excuses from some compiler vendors who didn't go to the trouble of
implementing pass-by-reference (perhaps I'm being too harsh here,
but if so then can someone post an example that shows why you cannot
use pass-by-reference?).

-- michael murphy
-- UUCP: {uunet|sun}!elxsi!elk!murphy
-- AT&T: 408-942-0900