* "Split GNAT compilers" in Gentoo
@ 2006-10-31 11:48 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-10-31 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi George,

I am intrigued by what you just said in another thread:

> I need to finish with the transition to split gnat compilers (should
> be soon finally - only a few libs left) - in Gentoo you have the
> ability to have multiple gnat implementation installed side-by-side
> and switch them on the fly.

Could you please elaborate on this?  I understand how you can install
several versions side by side, but what do you mean by "split[ting]"
the compilers? What is the impact on libraries? Also, could you explain
why you need a "transition", i.e. what is the current state in Gentoo?

Also, what in your opinion is the benefit of being able to switch
compilers on the fly if they're binary-incompatible?

Just curious.

--
Ludovic Brenta.