From: "Howard" <Howard.Parrish@peterson.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Porting Ada code to Linux
Date: 31 Oct 2006 09:38:14 -0800
Date: 2006-10-31T09:38:14-08:00	[thread overview]

I work with Bill, and I wanted to provide a more detailed expansion of
our situation;

We are porting from a Windows-95 "legacy" system to a new Linux one.
The code we are re-writing is Visual Basic, and we are translating it
into C++.  But, the VB code had a dependancy on a considerable amount
of Ada 95 code that the VB code interfaced with via DLLs.

We need to port this Ada code over, also.  We have decided, given that
there is between 45 and 55 thousand lines of Ada code, with its
attendant complexity, to simply use the Ada code as is without
re-writing it into C++.  This Ada code depends on some files, also
written in Ada, that then have some pragmas to a Visual C++ library,
"winbase.h"...

The Ada libs are;

Win32
Win32-Utils
Win32-Winbase (pragmas to VCPP winbase.h lib)
Win32-Windef
Win32-Winnt

Stdarg
Stdarg-Impl
Stdarg-Inst
Stdarg-Machine

These are all Ada packages, and these name represent specs, and bodies,
so named.

So, we are going to have to compile the Ada code, then link it with the
new C++ code.  We are using the Gnu-G++ compiler linker, and we will
need to be able to link in the Ada object files with our C++ files.  We
have to find a way to replace, or port, the mentioned Ada libs.

The "Winbase" dependancy on the Visual C++ files is problematic, at
best...

So, again, any insight that can be provided would be greatly
appreciated.  You can write me directly at

Howard.Parrish@cisf.af.mil