* Ada Compiler
@ 1989-10-24 18:22 Ron Baalke
From: Ron Baalke @ 1989-10-24 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a good Ada compiler with a symbolic debugger that runs
on an IBM PC for under $500. Any suggestions?

             Ron Baalke                        (818) 541-2341 ext 260
             Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355
             4800 Oak Grove Dr.
             Pasadena, CA 91109

* ADA compiler
@ 1990-07-30 19:46 Captain Moonrock
From: Captain Moonrock @ 1990-07-30 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I get an ADA compiler (preferably PD)?

I just added this echo to my board and hope to learn a lot from it.

* ADA compiler
@ 1991-01-22  5:15 Eric DeWald
From: Eric DeWald @ 1991-01-22  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to know where I can find a public domain or shareware
ADA compiler, and any information on how to program in it.

dewaler@prism.cs.orst.edu

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 1993-07-06 23:33 John L Hendricks
From: John L Hendricks @ 1993-07-06 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <217rrf$203@sol.deakin.OZ.AU> tnelson@cm.deakin.OZ.AU (Anthony
Nelson) writes:
>    ... Consequently we would like a free or cheap ADA compiler (preferably
>    PC based). I would appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone
>    regarding this matter.

The Janus Ada 80x86 Compiler from R.R. Software is cheap and satisfactory
for learning Ada.  It currently lists for around $99 (US) from The
Programmer's Shop (U.S. phone: 800-421-8006 or 617-749-2018).  If your
looking for a site license or more capable products, you can talk to R.R.
Software Inc. directly at 1-800-722-3248.  Their mailing address is P.O.
Box 1512, Madison, WI 53701.

This cheapie compiler comes with some libraries, a (so far) not so useful
editor-environment, a turtorial, a make tool, its own special linker, and a
simple library manager.  It runs on and will generate code for PC-Clones.
John says check it out.

    John Hendricks
     hendrick@ti.lobby.com                           Now what?
 or  hendricks@valdez.dseg.ti.com

* Ada Compiler
@ 1994-09-28  9:12 Tung-lin Tsai
From: Tung-lin Tsai @ 1994-09-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Sorry dear news group readers, in the previously posted question
  regarding the Ada compiler.  I also like to know if there is any
  Ada compiler that I can get from a FTP Site which can run on
  the UNIX system.

  I am sorry for any inconvenience!  And please sent your info to me
  at ttsai@libser1.ic.sunysb.edu !!!

  Thank you very much!

		Very truly yours,
  		Tony

* Ada Compiler
@ 1994-11-12  1:17 icsia184
From: icsia184 @ 1994-11-12  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, I'm a newbie to ADA, and I kinda like it.  I would really like to get a
good compiler.  I take that back.  I can write a program in any editor, I would
just like a reliable compiler that will make .EXE files on a DOS based system.
If any of you can help, I would much appreciate it.  I'm sure that you can find
my E-mail address.  Thanks.

--
  \|||/  +------------------------------------------------------+
   0 0   |  Fear of Death Keeps Us From Living, Not From Dying. |

* Ada compiler
@ 1995-03-21 19:24 ` JG TAYLOR
From: JG TAYLOR @ 1995-03-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can you tell me where I get hold of a ada compiler before this weekend to operate on
a macintosh.  It would be very helpful.

James Taylor

Electronic Engineering and Applied Physics
Aston University
UK

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1995-03-22 22:17   ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1995-03-22 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

JG TAYLOR (taylorjg@aston.ac.uk) wrote:
: Can you tell me where I get hold of a ada compiler before this weekend to operate on
: a macintosh.  It would be very helpful.

There is a nice Ada 83 (pseudo-machine) compiler at

   ftp://ftp.seas.gwu.edu/pub/ada/gw-adaed/mac/...

(or, in English instead of URL: FTP to "ftp.seas.gwu.edu" and change
into subdirectory pub/ada/gw-adaed/mac and poke around).

: James Taylor

: Electronic Engineering and Applied Physics
: Aston University
: UK

-Tucker Taft   stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.

* Ada Compiler
@ 1995-03-28 17:02 Browett
From: Browett @ 1995-03-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am in desperate need of a good Ada Compiler........

Can anybody help? Please don't suggest Adaed, it's more flakey than I
am!!!!!

I would appreciate any suggestions....

Send to:

Dean Browett at ddcollis@Herts.ac.uk (Computer Science student)

Many Thanks.........

* ADA compiler
@ 1996-03-25  0:00 "Mike Schofield"
From: "Mike Schofield" @ 1996-03-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies if this a FAQ - I'm enquiring for a colleague - and I'm no
language expert.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for a (reasonably priced) ADA compiler
for use with 68000 hardware and VME?
Need a robust (validated?) version - for safety-related applications.

TIA,

Mike.

* Re: ADA compiler
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 ` Samuel Abbe
From: Samuel Abbe @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Schofield wrote:

> Apologies if this a FAQ - I'm enquiring for a colleague - and I'm no
> language expert.
>
> Can anyone recommend a supplier for a (reasonably priced) ADA compiler
> for use with 68000 hardware and VME?
> Need a robust (validated?) version - for safety-related applications.
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike.

I don't believe there are any '(reasonably priced)' for 'safety-related
applications'.  Safety critical compilers will be expensive.  Prices I
believe run about $30,000 - $60,000.  If you friend has web access tell
them to check out http://www.acm.org/sigada/vendors/vendors.html, if
not, some of the companies to try are Rational, Thomson, Green Hills,
and DDC-I.  A more complete list is at the SigAda site.
--
Samuel H. Abbe, sabbe@sikorsky.com
Software Engineer, Flight Controls Systems

* Ada compiler
@ 1996-07-09  0:00 Nazzario
From: Nazzario @ 1996-07-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to know where can I find a really good freeware or shareware Ada compiler and editor.
Please does anybody can help me ??
I just started to learn ADA language and I don't have any idea to where can I find the applications above.
I would be very glad if somebody can help me.
Is there some ADA compiler or editor for windows (always shareware or freeware)?

Thank you
MATTEO

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1996-07-10  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-07-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31E2B36D.4FAE@ntb.it> Nazzario <nazzario@ntb.it> writes:

> I need to know where can I find a really good freeware or shareware
> Ada compiler and editor.  Please does anybody can help me ??  I just
> started to learn ADA language and I don't have any idea to where can
> I find the applications above.  I would be very glad if somebody can
> help me.  Is there some ADA compiler or editor for windows (always
> shareware or freeware)?

FTP to cs.nyu.edu.  In pub/gnat you will find GNAT binaries for most
platforms of interest (including Win/95/NT).  The source is also there
if you are so interested.  GNAT is the "Gnu Ada95 Compiler", utilizes
the same backend as other GNU compilers (GCC) and is all around an
excellent compiler.

While you are there, you can pick up the emacs Ada mode which also works
extremely well.  May as well pick up the Ada aware (GNAT) GDB debugger
too.

General location for loads of information (including interactive tutorials
and such over the Web):

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

Other resources of interest:

-- X11/Motif
--
http://www.inmet.com/~mg/x11ada/x11ada.html

-- Win32
--
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/source-code/bindings/win32ada/win32ada.html

-- Tcl/TK
--
http://www.ocsystems.com/xada/tash

-- Java
--
http://www.inmet.com

--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.

617.484.3383
jsa@organon.com

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1996-07-10  0:00 ` John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-07-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nazzario

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Nazzario wrote:
> I need to know where can I find a really good freeware or shareware Ada
> compiler and editor.  Please does anybody can help me ??
> I just started to learn ADA language and I don't have any idea to where
> can I find the applications above.
> I would be very glad if somebody can help me.
> Is there some ADA compiler or editor for windows (always shareware or
> freeware)?
> Thank you
> MATTEO

Hello,

For a freeware Ada 95 compiler system, sources, editors and utilities:
  ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
(The EZ2LOAD distribution provides editors for DOS or Windows v3.1.)

To get the FAQ's and links to most everywhere else about Ada, see:
  Home of the Brave Ada Programmers (HBAP)
  http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

And lastly, there are several books to help learn about Ada 95.  The
freeware Ada 95 Rationale is a big help.  The freeware Ada 95 Reference
Manual is useful too.  Also I use "Ada as a Second Language" by Norman
Cohen (price:~ $35).

 Cohen, Norman H.  Ada as a Second Language, 2nd ed.  McGraw-Hill,
   1996. 1133 pp. (ISBN: 0-07-011607-5)
 See http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl.html

Mike Feldman distributes source code examples from his newly released
books.  I found them by the EZ2LOAD distribution of GNAT v3.05 for DPMI.
The DPMI version works under DOS, Windows v3.1, or OS/2 in a DOS session.

TITLE : ADA PROBLEM SOLVING & PROGRAM DESIGN [ 2.0 edition ]
AUTHOR: FELDMAN
ISBN #: 0201870096
PUB BY: ADDISON-WESLEY

TITLE : DATA STRUCTURES WITH ADA [ 2.0 edition ]
AUTHOR: FELDMAN
ISBN #: 0201887959
PUB BY: ADDISON-WESLEY

-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1996-07-11  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.93.960710153203.15706B-100000@sky.net>,
John Howard  <jhoward@sky.net> wrote:

>Mike Feldman distributes source code examples from his newly released
>books.  I found them by the EZ2LOAD distribution of GNAT v3.05 for DPMI.
>The DPMI version works under DOS, Windows v3.1, or OS/2 in a DOS session.

Thanks for the ez2load plug. The URL is

ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/ez2load

or via NYU or PAL or their mirrors.

Nice book plugs, too! A couple of details should be fixed, though:

>TITLE : ADA PROBLEM SOLVING & PROGRAM DESIGN [ 2.0 edition ]
Ada 95 Problem Solving and Program Design (2nd ed)

>AUTHOR: FELDMAN
Feldman/Koffman

  -----

>TITLE : DATA STRUCTURES WITH ADA [ 2.0 edition ]
Software Construction and Data Structures with Ada 95

>AUTHOR: FELDMAN
>ISBN #: 0201887959

>PUB BY: ADDISON-WESLEY

I'd also like to put in another plug for the new web site,
"Ada Resources for Educators and Students", at
http://www.acm.org/sigada/education

Mike Feldman

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1996-07-11  0:00 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1996-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nazzario (nazzario@ntb.it) wrote:
: I need to know where can I find a really good freeware or
: shareware Ada compiler and editor.
: Please does anybody can help me ??
: I just started to learn ADA language and I don't have any idea to
: where can I find the applications above.
: I would be very glad if somebody can help me.
: Is there some ADA compiler or editor for windows
: (always shareware or freeware)?

Short answer: check out GNAT and "ez2load".  First, get a web browser.
Then, for GNAT, take a look at the GNAT Project Home Page at
"http://cs.nyu.edu/cs/projects/gnat/".

"ez2load" is an easy-to-load prepackaged version of GNAT + editors
for IBM-compatible PCs running MS-DOS or Microsoft Windows 3.1/95/NT.
You can find more information about "ez2load" by going to
"http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Resources/Compilers/Compilers.html", selecting
"Free Compilers", then selecting "ez2load".  The actual ez2load package
is at "ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/ez2load/".

If you're learning Ada, take a look at my Ada tutorial, Lovelace, at:
  "http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm".
It includes references to all of those things, and much more.

Finally, for general Ada information, take a look at the newsgroup FAQs
and the various Ada web servers. One of them is HBAP, at:
  "http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/"

--- David A. Wheeler
Net address: wheeler@ida.org

* ada compiler
@ 1996-09-12  0:00 nathan richmond
From: nathan richmond @ 1996-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am a DOS user, does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler which I can
download from the Internet?

Thanks for any help.
--
nathan richmond

* Re: ada compiler
@ 1996-09-12  0:00 ` kjp
From: kjp @ 1996-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nathan richmond wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a DOS user, does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler which I can
> download from the Internet?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> nathan richmond

Checkout:

ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/ez2load/ez2load.doc

* Re: ada compiler
@ 1996-09-12  0:00 ` John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nathan richmond

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, nathan richmond wrote:
> I am a DOS user, does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler which I
> can download from the Internet?

A freeware GNU Ada 95 compiler for DOS protected mode (DPMI) programming
using DJGPP is available at cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat.  Download the GW-GNAT
EZ2LOAD distribution having the AdaCAPS IDE.  Additionally, there is a
freeware development system called AdaSAGE that has alot of DOS specific
source code located at http://sageftp.inel.gov/sage/homepage.html

DOS Ada archive
http://www.jumbo.com/prog/dos/ada/

The Public Ada Library (PAL)
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/pal.html

Public Ada Library (PAL) mirror at Walnut Creek
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/ada/pal.html

If you are accustomed to Borland's textual user interface for DOS users
called Turbo Vision then check out:
  Turbo Vision for DJGPP
  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~rho/tvision.html

And there is the comp.os.msdos.djgpp newsgroup.

You'll find extensive links to most Ada resources at the

       [not found] <01bba2c2$e035d4c0$84dc11cc@default>
@ 1996-09-14  0:00 ` Aron Felix Gurski
From: Aron Felix Gurski @ 1996-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Overton wrote:

> Does any one know where I can get an ADA compiler?
>
> Email to overton@widomaker.com
>
> Thanx...
> Vic

Read the FAQ, Vic, read the FAQ.

* Ada compiler
@ 1996-09-14  0:00 M Quintin
From: M Quintin @ 1996-09-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have a look at:
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/compilers/Welcome.html

@ 1996-09-15  0:00 ` kjprice
From: kjprice @ 1996-09-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Overton

Victor Overton wrote:

> Does any one know where I can get an ADA compiler?
>
> Email to overton@widomaker.com
>
> Thanx...
> Vic

For what platform?  GNAT is available in a wide variety of platforms...

* Re: ada compiler
@ 1996-09-16  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-09-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.93.960912152226.1044A-100000@sky.net>,
John Howard  <jhoward@sky.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, nathan richmond wrote:
>> I am a DOS user, does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler which I
>> can download from the Internet?
>
>A freeware GNU Ada 95 compiler for DOS protected mode (DPMI) programming
>using DJGPP is available at cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat.  Download the GW-GNAT
>EZ2LOAD distribution having the AdaCAPS IDE.  Additionally, there is a
>freeware development system called AdaSAGE that has alot of DOS specific
>source code located at http://sageftp.inel.gov/sage/homepage.html

Good so far.

>DOS Ada archive
>http://www.jumbo.com/prog/dos/ada/

I just checked this site and they seem to have completely garbled
the filename structure for both GNAT and GW-Ada/Ed. Worse, GNAT 3.05
has been available since June but this site is still providing
GNAT 3.04.

PLease don;t recommend this site. They seem to have NOTHING that's
not available from NYU (GNAT) or PAL (GNAT and other stuff). And
NYU and PAL don;t make you wait for the ads to download!

>The Public Ada Library (PAL)
>http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/pal.html

Good!

>Public Ada Library (PAL) mirror at Walnut Creek
>http://www.cdrom.com/pub/ada/pal.html
>
>If you are accustomed to Borland's textual user interface for DOS users
>called Turbo Vision then check out:
>  Turbo Vision for DJGPP
>  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~rho/tvision.html

As I recall, this is not an IDE but a binding to the Turbo Vision
libraries. I tried checking this site but couldn;t get in.

The Borland textual IDE is provided by AdaCAPS, the editor
that comes with ez2load (see above).

>And there is the comp.os.msdos.djgpp newsgroup.

Which deals a lot in technical details of DJGPP, not much on Ada,
and certainly not much for Ada beginners.

>You'll find extensive links to most Ada resources at the
>  Home of the Brave Ada Programmers (HBAP)
>  http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

And, especially for students and educators, at
http://www.acm.org/sigada/education

>-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
       Pork is all that money the government gives the other guys.
WWW: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/ or http://info.acm.org/sigada/education

* Re: ADA compiler
@ 1996-09-19  0:00   ` William Lane
From: William Lane @ 1996-09-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Is GNAT shareware/freeware? Does it support ADA 95?
Where could I get it and where is the ADA faq located (ftp site
preferred)?
				thanks,
					-Bill Lane

@ 1996-09-20  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stop by the Home of PCADA.  You can choose from IntegrAda, Visual Ada,
Janus/Ada, or ActivAda.  We also have a complete selection of
language-sensitive tools, libraries, and design & documentation tools that
allow you to write interchangeable source code between PC compilers.

IntegrAda/386 lets you target small or medium model 16-bit or large 32-bit
applications with the same development and the same source code.  Just set
the target with a simple menu choice.

Stop by and pick up a DEMO Disk from our WEB Site at
"http://www.pcada.com."
--
Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.

Victor Overton <overton@widomaker.com> wrote in article
<01bba2c2$e035d4c0$84dc11cc@default>...
> Does any one know where I can get an ADA compiler?
>
> Email to overton@widomaker.com
>
> Thanx...
> Vic

* Re: ADA compiler
@ 1996-09-20  0:00     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Lane <wlane@csulb.edu> wrote in article
<51s373$jnb@hatathli.csulb.edu>...
> 	Is GNAT shareware/freeware? Does it support ADA 95?
> Where could I get it and where is the ADA faq located (ftp site
> preferred)?
> 				thanks,
> 					-Bill Lane
> : For what platform?  GNAT is available in a wide variety of platforms...

Gnat IS Ad95, with a compiler switch for Ada83 mode.
Here's the top-level directory listing for the main gnat FTP site.
FTP directory /pub/gnat at cs.nyu.edu
06/16/93 12:00AM            428 .cache
07/14/96 10:47PM         24,230 README
03/19/96 12:00AM      Directory contrib
11/14/94 12:00AM      Directory docs
07/14/96 10:31PM      Directory dsa
07/04/96 07:15PM        131,598 emacs-ada-mode-2.23.tar.gz
06/12/96 09:23PM      1,444,450 emx09b-gnat-os2-bin-disk1.zip
06/12/96 09:23PM      1,154,988 emx09b-gnat-os2-bin-disk2.zip
06/18/96 03:59AM      Directory ez2load
06/12/96 09:40PM         35,907 features
12/20/95 12:00AM      Directory gdb
02/08/96 12:00AM      9,735,777 gnat-3.01-bin-m68k-next-nextstep3.tar.gz
01/05/96 12:00AM          1,337 gnat-3.01-linuxaout.README
01/05/96 12:00AM      2,995,376 gnat-3.01-linuxaout.tar.gz
12/18/95 12:00AM      4,339,591 gnat-3.01-mips-dec-ultrix4.3-bin.tar.gz
04/25/96 04:18PM      8,232,453 gnat-3.03-hppa-bin.tar.gz
03/01/96 12:00AM          1,759 gnat-3.03-unknown-i386-solaris2.4-README
03/01/96 12:00AM      4,094,981
gnat-3.03-unknown-i386-solaris2.4-bin.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:36AM      4,827,227 gnat-3.05-alpha-dec-osf3.2-bin.tar.gz
06/30/96 11:04PM      3,175,935 gnat-3.05-i386-next-nextstep3-bin.tar.gz
06/18/96 10:02PM          7,141 gnat-3.05-i386-unknown-netbsd1.1-README
06/18/96 10:09PM         27,400
gnat-3.05-i386-unknown-netbsd1.1-src.diff.gz
06/28/96 09:03PM      4,974,556 gnat-3.05-i386-unknown-netbsd1.1.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:54AM      7,772,351 gnat-3.05-i486-linux-elf-bin.tar.gz
08/06/96 09:20PM      3,464,604 gnat-3.05-m68k-next-nextstep3-bin.tar.gz
07/26/96 04:15AM      4,773,381 gnat-3.05-mips-dec-ultrix4.3-bin.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:39AM      4,999,340 gnat-3.05-mips-sgi-irix5.3-bin.tar.gz
06/12/96 09:24PM      1,457,655 gnat-3.05-os2-bin-disk1.zip
06/12/96 09:24PM      1,457,664 gnat-3.05-os2-bin-disk2.zip
06/12/96 09:24PM      1,302,527 gnat-3.05-os2-bin-disk3.zip
06/12/96 03:52AM      5,009,369 gnat-3.05-rs6000-ibm-aix3.2-bin.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:40AM      3,876,861 gnat-3.05-sparc-sun-solaris2.4-bin.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:41AM      4,433,705 gnat-3.05-sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3-bin.tar.gz
06/14/96 03:36AM          7,931 gnat-3.05-src-update.tar.gz
06/12/96 03:42AM      2,435,890 gnat-3.05-src.tar.gz
06/12/96 04:53PM             70 gnat-dos-readme
06/12/96 08:23PM             75 gnat-windows95-readme
02/26/94 12:00AM         86,064 gnupatch.zip
12/16/93 12:00AM      1,146,880 gzip-1.2.4.tar
07/09/96 04:38AM      Directory mac68k
06/19/96 02:16PM      Directory papers
07/09/96 04:34AM      Directory powermac
06/28/96 08:04PM      Directory private
07/06/95 12:00AM      Directory rationale-ada95
04/13/95 12:00AM      Directory rm9x-v5.95
08/03/93 12:00AM        114,367 unz50x32.exe
09/07/94 12:00AM        146,915 unz511x.exe
06/12/96 11:09PM      Directory win95
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

* Re: ADA compiler
@ 1996-09-20  0:00   ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim> Stop by the Home of PCADA.  You can choose from IntegrAda, Visual
Jim> Ada, Janus/Ada, or ActivAda.  We also have a complete selection
Jim> of language-sensitive tools, libraries, and design &
Jim> documentation tools that allow you to write interchangeable
Jim> source code between PC compilers.

[...end of ad deleted...]

Could you guys stop sending ads several times a week on this group ?
This is turning into SPAM posting, which is not pleasant to see for
usual c.l.a readers. If you want to raise the reputation of your
company, you better post answers to technical questions proving your
skills in this domain rather than always posting ads which are often
quite far from the original request !

Thanks in advance.

  Sam
--
  Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

* ada compiler
@ 1996-12-27  0:00 Patrick Baker
From: Patrick Baker @ 1996-12-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have an ADA compiler I can get for free?

* Re: ada compiler
@ 1996-12-28  0:00 ` ElecWeb
From: ElecWeb @ 1996-12-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Dec 1996 05:28:52 GMT, Patrick Baker <pmbaker@asiaonline.net.tw>
wrote:

>Does anyone have an ADA compiler I can get for free?

Connect to "ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat"
 there are vary free Ada compilers.
			-- Good luck! --

* Re: ADA Compiler
@ 1997-11-05  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

PJO asks

<<I am looking for an ADA compiler running on IBM rs6000 (AIX operating
system), a PC (WindowsNT 4.0) and a PC (OS2 WARP).
Are there anybody to send me reference of such a compiler.
Thanks in advance
PJO (pjones6@ibm.net)>>

GNAT is available on all three platforms, and commercial support for
all three platforms is available from Ada Core Technologies. Send email
to sales@gnat.com for details.

* ADA Compiler
@ 1997-11-05  0:00 pjo
From: pjo @ 1997-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

@ 1998-07-12  0:00 Ramsey Khair
From: Ramsey Khair @ 1998-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to compile a file called "event_set.ADA" what ada compiler do i need
to use, and do you know if there is a free one.

Thank you

Ramsey

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 1998-07-12  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ramsey Khair wrote:
> I want to compile a file called "event_set.ADA" what ada compiler
> do i need to use, and do you know if there is a free one.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ada.html#gnat

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Ada compiler
@ 2002-02-28 19:12 Somesh Agrawal
From: Somesh Agrawal @ 2002-02-28 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anybody know where to get ada95 compiler for Cygwin?

Thanks,
Somesh

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2002-02-28 19:30 ` Dave Poirier
From: Dave Poirier @ 2002-02-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Somesh Agrawal wrote:
> Is anybody know where to get ada95 compiler for Cygwin?
>
> Thanks,
> Somesh

the GCC toolchain is available under cygwin IIRC, so GNAT should also be
since it's now an integral part of GCC.

EKS - Dave Poirier.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2002-02-28 21:19 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-02-28 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Somesh Agrawal" <somesh_a@hotmail.com> writes:

> Is anybody know where to get ada95 compiler for Cygwin?

Nowhere, AFAIK there is no Ada compiler based on Cygwin. GNAT is based on
MingW32.

Pascal.

--|

* Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-15 13:12 Claire Wong
From: Claire Wong @ 2003-10-15 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear:Mr/Ms

Could anyone provide a link for me to download Ada compiler on window
OS and Linus OS?

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-15 13:28 ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-10-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Claire Wong" <karwan1982@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear:Mr/Ms
>
> Could anyone provide a link for me to download Ada compiler on window
> OS and Linus OS?

Hi Claire,

You can get the GNAT distributions from my website (http://www.adaworld.com)
in the related links section.

Regards,

--
St�phane Richard
"Ada World" Webmaster

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-16  1:52 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-10-16  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Public distributions from Ada Core Technologies may be found using anonymous
ftp from:
  cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

Steve
(The Duck)

"Claire Wong" <karwan1982@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear:Mr/Ms
>
> Could anyone provide a link for me to download Ada compiler on window
> OS and Linus OS?

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-16  8:18   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-16  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-16, Steve <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> wrote:
> Public distributions from Ada Core Technologies may be found using anonymous
> ftp from:
>   cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

Isn't it better to point at:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

Preben

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-16 16:34     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-10-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> writes:

> On 2003-10-16, Steve <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Public distributions from Ada Core Technologies may be found using
> > anonymous ftp from: cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
> >

> Isn't it better to point at:
>
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

That depends on what the user wants. If they just want to download
GNAT, the nyu site is better (easier to get straight to what they
want). If they want more general information about GNAT, including
other related tools, the act-europe site is better.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-17  2:28     ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-10-17  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
message
> On 2003-10-16, Steve <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Public distributions from Ada Core Technologies may be found using
anonymous
> > ftp from:
> >   cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
> >

> Isn't it better to point at:
>
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

You're probably right.  It's just I've always downloaded mine from nyu so
that's where I think of first.

Steve
(The Duck)

> Preben

* Re: Ada Compiler
@ 2003-10-17 14:53   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2003-10-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:

> You can get the GNAT distributions from my website (http://www.adaworld.com)
> in the related links section.

A download link section would do better for a beginner to visit.
Otherwise, some of them may get frustrated searching for the download
link in the related links. :)

I still notice Ada is typed as ADA. This could mislead beginners too.

Cheers, :)

--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

* Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-09 14:35 Sergey
From: Sergey @ 2004-04-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Guys, I'm experienced C++ programmer and pretty new to Ada. Despite
from that I'd like to use Ada for my current project (it's not a big
deal but ...) and I have   same questions for you ... I've to use
RHEL-3 ( NPTL is the keyword here ) - a platform where ( as I heard )
gnat-3.15p doesn't do well ( tasking is completely broken ). RHEL-3
comes with gcc-3.2.3 and contains gnat as well, but ( been googling a
little ) I've found that it isn't recommended for use in production
...  So my question - what Ada compiler are you guys using on RHEL (
or RHL-9 )?

Sincerely
Sergey

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-09 16:50 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2004-04-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergey wrote:

> I've to use RHEL-3 ( NPTL is the keyword here ) - a platform where (
> as I heard ) gnat-3.15p doesn't do well ( tasking is completely
> broken ).

I don't use Red Hat Enterprise Linux (I assume that's the correct
expansion of the acronym), but I think your problem can be solved by
setting the environment variable "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL" to "2.4.1" (or
"2.2.<something else>").

Jacob
--
"I'm going as a barrel of toxic waste!"

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-09 16:53 ` Mark H Johnson
From: Mark H Johnson @ 2004-04-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Guys, I'm experienced C++ programmer and pretty new to Ada. Despite
> from that I'd like to use Ada for my current project (it's not a big
> deal but ...) and I have   same questions for you ... I've to use
> RHEL-3 ( NPTL is the keyword here ) - a platform where ( as I heard )
> gnat-3.15p doesn't do well ( tasking is completely broken ). RHEL-3
> comes with gcc-3.2.3 and contains gnat as well, but ( been googling a
> little ) I've found that it isn't recommended for use in production
> ...  So my question - what Ada compiler are you guys using on RHEL (
> or RHL-9 )?

You have a few alternatives:
  - if you care about "use for production", you should probably get a
support contract from Ada Core Technologies. That way, you get a
validated compiler built for RHEL. ACT's support is a little expensive
and geared for large development teams but the quality of support has
been excellent.
  - if you don't have $$, you can still use 3.15p if you specify
   export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
to get the old tasking behavior (which works fine). This was described
on comp.lang.ada some time ago. For example, see
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=uel0sqyq8.fsfYB8X%40earthlink.net
for more information.
  - or you can try gcc-3.2.3. Perhaps someone else can comment on how
well it works (or doesn't).

   --Mark

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-12 17:08   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2004-04-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I run RH 9 where I use two Ada development accounts, one for 3.15p
development and one for what came with the system, i.e., gcc-3.2.3.

>   - if you don't have $$, you can still use 3.15p if you specify
>    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
> to get the old tasking behavior (which works fine).

Ditto, this is what I do, never had any problems with it.

>   - or you can try gcc-3.2.3. Perhaps someone else can comment on how
> well it works (or doesn't).

I compile the exact same code from the 3.15p baseline under gcc 3.2.3 and it
compiles and runs fine--I've noticed no differences in execution. (And I
admit being a bit surprised about my lack of problems given the reports of
3.2 problems.) The only compilation difference is 3.2.3 warnings that the
pragma "Unreferenced" is unknown.

My software, DTraq (www.dtraq.com/dtraq.html), heavily uses tasking and the
GUI is implemented with GtkAda, and so far--knock on wood--my experience
with the output of the two compilers has been one of identical execution.
(DTraq also uses ASIS, which isn't available for 3.2.3, so I can't compile
that portion of DTraq of course, but the output of the 3.15p version of the
executable that employs ASIS is usable by the remainder of the tool, so
everything ends up working just fine.)

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
m c @ m c k a e . c o m

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-13 13:13     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-04-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> My software, DTraq (www.dtraq.com/dtraq.html), heavily uses tasking and
> the GUI is implemented with GtkAda, and so far--knock on wood--my
> experience with the output of the two compilers has been one of identical
> execution. (DTraq also uses ASIS, which isn't available for 3.2.3, so I
> can't compile that portion of DTraq of course, but the output of the 3.15p
> version of the executable that employs ASIS is usable by the remainder of
> the tool, so everything ends up working just fine.)

If you have the source of gcc 3.2.3 (good distribututions come with sources)
then you could compile your own ASIS:

http://gnat-asis.sf.net

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-14  9:23     ` Sergey
From: Sergey @ 2004-04-14  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com> wrote in message
> Ditto, this is what I do, never had any problems with it.
> I compile the exact same code from the 3.15p baseline under gcc 3.2.3 and it
> compiles and runs fine--I've noticed no differences in execution. (And I
> admit being a bit surprised about my lack of problems given the reports of
> 3.2 problems.) The only compilation difference is 3.2.3 warnings that the
> pragma "Unreferenced" is unknown.

Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
failed...

> My software, DTraq (www.dtraq.com/dtraq.html), heavily uses tasking and the
> GUI is implemented with GtkAda, and so far--knock on wood--my experience
> with the output of the two compilers has been one of identical execution.
> (DTraq also uses ASIS, which isn't available for 3.2.3, so I can't compile
> that portion of DTraq of course, but the output of the 3.15p version of the
> executable that employs ASIS is usable by the remainder of the tool, so
> everything ends up working just fine.)
>
> Marc A. Criley
> McKae Technologies
> m c @ m c k a e . c o m

Sincerely,
Sergey E. Volkov.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-14 12:32       ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2004-04-14 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sergey" <cjkywt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com> wrote in message
> > Ditto, this is what I do, never had any problems with it.
> > I compile the exact same code from the 3.15p baseline under gcc 3.2.3
and it
> > compiles and runs fine--I've noticed no differences in execution. (And I
> > admit being a bit surprised about my lack of problems given the reports
of
> > 3.2 problems.) The only compilation difference is 3.2.3 warnings that
the
> > pragma "Unreferenced" is unknown.
>
> Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
> certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
> 3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
> failed...

Hunh, that's very curious. Have you been able to track it down to specific
lines of code or constructs that aren't executing correctly? I'm curious,
it'd be interesting (to me, anyways :-) to see just what kind of constructs
aren't compiling correctly.

DTraq uses the aforementioned tasking, as well as (gnat) sockets, stream I/O
and attributes, dynamic allocation of objects and tasks, tagged and derived
types, protected objects, child packages, generics--pretty much the whole
gamut of language features, and nothing yet appears to be acting up for me.

Marc

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-14 13:59       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-04-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergey said:
> Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
> certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
> 3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
> failed...

Have you filed problem reports in GCC's bugzilla?  This kind of
information, if detailed, is very valuable, especially if the problems
are regressions since 3.15p.

I just received a bunch of very detailed bug reports for 3.15p.  Since
3.15p doesn't have a public bug database, I'll file them in the Debian
bug tracking system for all to see.  Time permitting, I'll do this over
this and next weeks.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-14 14:27         ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-04-14 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta, comp.lang.ada

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 15:59, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Sergey said:
> > Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
> > certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
> > 3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
> > failed...
>
> Have you filed problem reports in GCC's bugzilla?  This kind of
> information, if detailed, is very valuable, especially if the problems
> are regressions since 3.15p.
>
> I just received a bunch of very detailed bug reports for 3.15p.  Since
> 3.15p doesn't have a public bug database, I'll file them in the Debian
> bug tracking system for all to see.  Time permitting, I'll do this over
> this and next weeks.

Hi Ludovic, gcc 3.2.3 is horribly out of date, so wouldn't it be pointless
to file bug reports against it?  Better to use gcc from CVS.

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-14 21:42           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-04-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Sands writes:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 15:59, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > Sergey said:
> > > Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
> > > certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
> > > 3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
> > > failed...
> >
> > Have you filed problem reports in GCC's bugzilla?  This kind of
> > information, if detailed, is very valuable, especially if the problems
> > are regressions since 3.15p.
> >
> > I just received a bunch of very detailed bug reports for 3.15p.  Since
> > 3.15p doesn't have a public bug database, I'll file them in the Debian
> > bug tracking system for all to see.  Time permitting, I'll do this over
> > this and next weeks.
>
> Hi Ludovic, gcc 3.2.3 is horribly out of date, so wouldn't it be
> pointless to file bug reports against it?  Better to use gcc from
> CVS.

It is true that GCC 3.2.3 is a bit old, but 3.3.x is not much better
as far as Ada is concerned.  Filing bug reports against 3.2.3 and
trying to reproduce them on 3.3.x and 3.4 would be a tremendous help
for GCC developers.

Moreover, several GNU/Linux distributions still in widespread use ship
GCC 3.2.x (e.g. Red Hat 9, Slackware 9.1, Debian Sarge, and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux which Sergey, the OP, uses).

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-15  7:38             ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-04-15  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta, comp.lang.ada

> > Hi Ludovic, gcc 3.2.3 is horribly out of date, so wouldn't it be
> > pointless to file bug reports against it?  Better to use gcc from
> > CVS.
>
> It is true that GCC 3.2.3 is a bit old, but 3.3.x is not much better
> as far as Ada is concerned.  Filing bug reports against 3.2.3 and
> trying to reproduce them on 3.3.x and 3.4 would be a tremendous help
> for GCC developers.

I think that if you find a bug with 3.2.3, then you should check if the bug
still exists in gcc CVS before reporting it to the gcc people.  What is the
point of telling the gcc developers about bugs they already fixed?  There
is however a point in reporting such bugs to your distribution (Debian etc),
since it is sometimes possible to backport fixes from CVS to gnat 3.15p or
whatever (I do this myself: I'm running 3.15p + patches).

> Moreover, several GNU/Linux distributions still in widespread use ship
> GCC 3.2.x (e.g. Red Hat 9, Slackware 9.1, Debian Sarge, and Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux which Sergey, the OP, uses).

People compiling Ada would do better to stick to 3.15p.

All the best,

Duncan.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-15  9:53         ` Sergey
From: Sergey @ 2004-04-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

ludovic.brenta@insalien.org (Ludovic Brenta) wrote in message news:<214d6b7.0404140559.70966796@posting.google.com>...
> Sergey said:
> > Ok, I don't know exactly but the only thing that I can said for
> > certain - it isn't that good. I've tried to compile aws-1.4.0 using
> > 3.2.3. Compilation finished well, but regression tests have badly
> > failed...

Ludovic,

> Have you filed problem reports in GCC's bugzilla?  This kind of
> information, if detailed, is very valuable, especially if the problems
> are regressions since 3.15p.

I thought it doesn't make much sence, because everybody over there was
(and still) saying that you shall stay away from using gcc-ada due to
its pre-alpha quality.

> I just received a bunch of very detailed bug reports for 3.15p.  Since
> 3.15p doesn't have a public bug database, I'll file them in the Debian
> bug tracking system for all to see.  Time permitting, I'll do this over
> this and next weeks.

Good! Thank you for making such a usefull job!

Guys, i can only bow my head in sorrow ...
I am in a sense threw it away (gcc-ada) ... But if the time permit,
i'll install it once again at week-end.

Sincerely,

Sergey E. Volkov

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-15 10:30           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-04-15 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Sergey wrote:

> ludovic.brenta@insalien.org (Ludovic Brenta) wrote in message

>> Have you filed problem reports in GCC's bugzilla?  This kind of
>> information, if detailed, is very valuable, especially if the problems
>> are regressions since 3.15p.
>
> I thought it doesn't make much sence, because everybody over there was
> (and still) saying that you shall stay away from using gcc-ada due to
> its pre-alpha quality.

I don't. I am using gcc 3.5 for some time now and I am quite happy.
Especialy the imporved project manager becomes the killer feature here.
With 3.15p I never got dll suport working - with 3.5 dlls works like a
charm.

Also 3.5 comes with a host of helpfull new warnings.

And if I do find a problem I file a bug report.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-04-15 12:41               ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found]                 ` <200404171422.10879.baldrick@free.fr>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-04-15 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

[about reporting bugs in GCC 3.2.3 to bugzilla]

> I think that if you find a bug with 3.2.3, then you should check if
> the bug still exists in gcc CVS before reporting it to the gcc
> people.  What is the point of telling the gcc developers about bugs
> they already fixed?

This is indeed the policy of GCC developers; they do not support any
version of GCC but the latest release (3.3.3 as of now).

Before filing a bug to GCC, you should not only check it against the
latest release, but also make sure that this bug was not introduced by
the distribution; i.e. you should only file bugs if you use an
unmodified GCC.  Also, you should search the bug database to see if it
has been reported before.

Still, if you find a bug in 3.2.3 that is fixed in 3.3.3, I think you
should file it and close it immediately, and provide any workaround
you know of for the version in question.  The fact that this bug was
fixed is valuable information that deserves to be public.  The
workaround, if any, is even more valuable.

> There is however a point in reporting such bugs to your distribution
> (Debian etc), since it is sometimes possible to backport fixes from
> CVS to gnat 3.15p or whatever

Yes.  The distribution acts as the front line of support for all the
software therein; if you find a bug in any software that came with
your distro, you normally report it to the distro.  The main reason
for this is that distros often patch the software, and the bug may or
may not originate from upstream.

If it turns out that the bug does come from upstream, the maintainer
(for Debian that would be Matthias Klose or myself) will forward the
bug to upstream, i.e. report@gnat.com or the GCC bugzilla database.
If you *know* that the bug comes from upstream, then you help us by
submitting the bug there as well as in the distro's bug database.

Another way in which bug databases are useful is to permit tracing
patches to bugs; i.e. by looking at the bug log, you can find out
which change to GCC fixed a particular bug.  Without this information,
it is very difficult to backport fixes.

I just filed a bunch of bug reports in the Debian database for GNAT
3.15p.  There are several more that I have to file as well.  The next
steps are to try and reproduce them with GCC 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4.  Those
not fixed should then be tagged upstream and forwarded to GCC's
bugzilla.  I will appreciate any help with this; if you wish to
contribute some of your time, please add information to the bugs in
the Debian database:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnat

> (I do this myself: I'm running 3.15p + patches).

I have already applied one of your patches to gnat in Debian (see the
changelog if you don't believe me).  But I would be very interested in
your other patches, if any.  Here again, the bug database is a useful
tool for traceability.

>> Moreover, several GNU/Linux distributions still in widespread >>
>> use ship GCC 3.2.x (e.g. Red Hat 9, Slackware 9.1, Debian Sarge,
>> and Red Hat Enterprise Linux which Sergey, the OP, uses).
>
> People compiling Ada would do better to stick to 3.15p.

Yes, but they don't necessarily know that and use whatever their
distribution chose for them.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

--
Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

http://forums.club-internet.fr/

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2004-04-17 12:22                 ` Duncan Sands
       [not found]                 ` <200404171422.10879.baldrick@free.fr>
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-04-17 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta, comp.lang.ada

> I have already applied one of your patches to gnat in Debian (see the
> changelog if you don't believe me).  But I would be very interested in
> your other patches, if any.  Here again, the bug database is a useful
> tool for traceability.

Hi Ludovic, as far as sockets go, I gave up on the 3.15p implementation
and replaced it entirely with the gcc CVS version.  To do this, it is enough
to replace the files g-soccon.ads  g-socket.adb  g-socket.ads  g-socthi.adb
g-socthi.ads with the files of the same names from gcc CVS.  Also, you will
need to extract the entry socket.o from CVS libgnat.a, something like this:
	ar x libgnat.a socket.o
and then stick the extracted socket.o into the 3.15p libgnat.a.  If you want
to build socket.o from source, I guess you will have to modify the 3.15p
Makefiles a bit.

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: Ada compiler
       [not found]                 ` <200404171422.10879.baldrick@free.fr>
@ 2004-04-17 13:04                   ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found]                   ` <87zn9aycvc.fsf@insalien.org>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-04-17 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan Sands; +Cc: Ludovic Brenta, comp.lang.ada

Duncan Sands writes:
> > I have already applied one of your patches to gnat in Debian (see the
> > changelog if you don't believe me).  But I would be very interested in
> > your other patches, if any.  Here again, the bug database is a useful
> > tool for traceability.
>
> Hi Ludovic, as far as sockets go, I gave up on the 3.15p implementation
> and replaced it entirely with the gcc CVS version.  To do this, it is enough
> to replace the files g-soccon.ads  g-socket.adb  g-socket.ads  g-socthi.adb
> g-socthi.ads with the files of the same names from gcc CVS.  Also, you will
> need to extract the entry socket.o from CVS libgnat.a, something like this:
> 	ar x libgnat.a socket.o
> and then stick the extracted socket.o into the 3.15p libgnat.a.  If you want
> to build socket.o from source, I guess you will have to modify the 3.15p
> Makefiles a bit.

Thanks for the info.  Indeed I must be able to rebuild from sources;
this is Debian policy.  I do not mind that I have to tweak the
Makefiles, as I have already done that quite a lot.  Would you explain
just why you gave up on GNAT.Sockets in 3.15p?  Would you file bugs in
Debian for me?  Then I will do as you say and fix the bugs.  Filing
the bugs in the Debian bug tracking system helps justify and trace
these fixes.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada compiler
       [not found]                   ` <87zn9aycvc.fsf@insalien.org>
@ 2004-04-17 18:24                     ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-04-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Brenta; +Cc: Ludovic Brenta, comp.lang.ada

Hi Ludovic,

> ...  Would you explain
> just why you gave up on GNAT.Sockets in 3.15p?

the main reason was the bad support for select (Check_Selector):
the Socket_Set_Type allowed for only a maximum of 32 file
descriptors (sockets + normal files).  Believe me, it is easy to write
a program that has more than 32 files open at once.  Fixing this
requires a complete rewrite of Socket_Set_Type, which was done
by the GNAT people at some point after 3.15p.  I could have backported
just this change, but since it was quite big and the 3.15p GNAT sockets
implementation seemed generally weak, and much better in CVS, I just
grabbed the whole lot from CVS.

> Would you file bugs in Debian for me? ...

I will try to find the time.

All the best,

Duncan.

* Ada compiler
@ 2006-10-04 19:34 James E. Lowery
From: James E. Lowery @ 2006-10-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where I acn obtain a free Ada compiler IDE  from for the
Windows 2000 OS.
Any help would be appreciated greatly
James Lowery
jlowery28@nc.rr.com
.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2006-10-04 21:45 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-10-04 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Free as in Freedom and as in free beer: http://libre.adacore.com

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2006-10-06  0:29 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-10-06  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James E. Lowery" <jlowery28@nc.rr.com> writes:

> Does anyone know where I acn obtain a free Ada compiler IDE  from for the
> Windows 2000 OS.

Emacs:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/windows/emacs/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

And the latest ada-mode:

http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada compiler
@ 2006-10-07 16:22 ` trg
From: trg @ 2006-10-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James E. Lowery" <jlowery28@nc.rr.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
31UUg.4681$fy.1895@tornado.southeast.rr.com...
| Does anyone know where I acn obtain a free Ada compiler IDE  from for the
| Windows 2000 OS.
| Any help would be appreciated greatly
| James Lowery
| jlowery28@nc.rr.com
| .

AonixADT for Eclipse is free (as in free beer) and supports GNAT and
ObjectAda on XP and Windows2000-

http://www.aonix.com/adt.html

Tom Grosman

* Re: Ada compiler