From: Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Large Integer Overflow - Causing a Bottleneck - Any solution.
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 01:28:48 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2017-05-05T01:28:48-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 5:18:00 PM UTC+1, Simon Wright wrote:
> Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am using a very old Ada compiler (gnat 311.p) in the Windows_7
> > operating system that has 64-bit architecture to write cryptography.
> >
> > Everything has gone well thus far but now I find I am being stymied
> > from expanding my cipher by the upper bound placed by my Ada compiler
> > on positive integers to 2^31 -1 or 2147483647 for positive integers.
> >
> > Is there any solution to this that won't want me to leave the main
> > program in order to do it.
>
> Even where a GNAT is built for a machine with 64-bit addresses, it uses
> 32-bit integers as you have seen.
>
> You could try, near the top of your program (assuming it's just one
> compilation unit),
>
>    subtype Integer is Long_Integer;

Hi Simon,
I don't think I am going to have a problem after all.  I have developed new mathematics (vector factoring) that has given me a very powerful algorithm that will only need quite small integers on a typical home computer.

A snag if I can call it that is that the linitations of a home computer permit only one iteration of the core algotithm because of increasing integer size. Each iteration would give one alternative variant of the design cipher and that would be useful in serious main stream crytptography but there are many alternatives to increasing the scope of my cipher in other ways.

This cipher is lookin very good now and I'm pleased it is written in Ada.

I hesitate to go for long integer procedures considering the simple portability of the present version unless it becomes absolutely necessary and I don't think now that it will be necessaary today.

I am 'mollified' by the knowledge that the large integer a la 32 bit architecture seems to be here to stay and there is no easy way "there for the finding" that I am missing through laziness of pursuit.

As always I am hugely grateful to you and your group colleagues for your help - nearing the end of this project now.

My past career was running very large oil tankers at sea.

adacrypt