* Re: Is there a GMGPL GtkAda available for use with GNAT 3.15p?
       [not found] <1155846135.283677.28720@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-08-18 10:37 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-08-18 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com a écrit :
> X-No-Archive:Yes

Please stop doing that. Your question, and my answer, might be useful
for other people who will later search the archives of c.l.a. See also
ESR's "How to ask questions the smart way" [1].

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> At the considerable and absolutely unintentional risk of starting
> another licensing discussion frenzy- can anyone tell me if there is a
> GtkAda under the modified GPL that I can use with 3.15p, and if so,
> where I can obtain it?

>From Debian or gnuada.sourceforge.net, of course. I think the gnuada
packages are designed for parallel installation on several platforms.

> I had an old source archive and I've spent all evening trying to build
> it. I've all the prereqs (possibly at levels that are too high) but I
> don't have things installed in standard paths (Linux) because I'm
> running multiple copies of gcc on this machine.  I created a user just
> for working with the 3.15p toolset.  I can build vanilla Ada sources
> and ncurses applications without difficulty so the base 3.15p and
> ncurses installations are fine.  What I'm unable to do is to build
> GtkAda in this environment.
>
> I built glib, gettext, and Gtk+2.6 (several times each) and I still get
> all kinds of errors when I try to build GtkAda 2.4.0 because it says I
> don't have some of these things installed.  When I built almost every
> .adb in Emacs using gnatmake from Ada-mode everything compiled properly
> but then I couldn't bind any sample programs because of unresolved
> symbols (missing libraries).
>
> If any kind soul would help with this that would be grand.
>
> Thanks,
> Randall

Since you're obviously willing to spend as much time as necessary, why
don't you go all the way and  solve your problem once and for all? If
not already done, install Debian Sarge (with GNAT 3.15p and GtkAda 2.4
under GMGPL in the standard paths), then create  a chroot environment
containing Etch or Sid (with GCC 4.1 as the Ada compiler, but no GtkAda
yet). You can create as many chroots as you like. Use debootstrap to
create each of them, then use apt-get inside each chroot to install
packages as usual.

Then, bind-mount your /home directory in each of the chroots, so you
share it between all chroots and the top-level root.

Then, copy your top-level /etc/passwd into each of the chroots, so all
users of the top-level root also exist in the chroots.

Last, use dchroot to allow non-root users to use chroot in a controlled
way.

This solution is less error-prone, quicker, and much much more
maintainable than recompiling everything. I use it myself on my
machine: Etch with gnat 3.15p in the top-level root, Sid (unstable)
with GCC 4.1 in a chroot where I do the Ada transition.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-08-18 10:37 UTC | newest]