* GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-15  5:45 Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-15  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the double posting! I cannot erase the other incomplete post on my phone it seems but I can do it later when I am at the computer.
-------------

I have installed crunchbang linux which is a direct derivative of Debian. Crunchbang is very fast! However with the GNAT GPL, I cannot get GPS to launch. For example with the year 2010 GNAT version I get on launching GPS:

/usr/local/gnat-2010/bin/gps.exe;
Error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory

I can put the Debian Ada though but I am interested in making the GPS with GNAT GPL to work. Compiling via gnatmake on the command line works fine and my programs run well.

Any suggestion? Thanks

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-15  8:47 ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2012-09-15  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:45:12 -0700, Ada novice wrote:

> I have installed crunchbang linux which is a direct derivative of
> Debian.
> /usr/local/gnat-2010/bin/gps.exe;
> Error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared
> object file:  No such file or directory
> Any suggestion? Thanks

does
sudo apt-get install libjpeg62
help?

- Brian

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-15  9:53   ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. Perhaps adding libjpeg62 can help. I have another linux distro called linux mint which is also a direct derivative of Debian and there GPS works fine and I see that libjpeg62 is installed.

I shall come back on Monday when I can have internet connection to my computer to install the libjpeg62 on the crunchbang linux.

YC

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-17  5:28     ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-17  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. It works with addition of libjpeg62.

To "Tonyg" who replied to my incomplete post: Crunchbang is fast and this speed is what I need in the Virtual Box.

Yes, there is also the Debian packaged Ada. But if GPL Ada is working fine then I prefer to use the latter. I do not know if I'm losing something by not using the Debian Ada.

YC

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-17  6:10       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-09-17  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada novice writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Thanks. It works with addition of libjpeg62.
>
> To "Tonyg" who replied to my incomplete post: Crunchbang is fast and
> this speed is what I need in the Virtual Box.
>
> Yes, there is also the Debian packaged Ada. But if GPL Ada is working
> fine then I prefer to use the latter. I do not know if I'm losing
> something by not using the Debian Ada.

As illustrated by your recent adventures, you lose automatic dependency
management.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-17  7:14       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2012-09-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:28:12 -0700 (PDT), Ada novice wrote:

> Yes, there is also the Debian packaged Ada. But if GPL Ada is working fine
> then I prefer to use the latter. I do not know if I'm losing something by
> not using the Debian Ada.

You loose integration with the gcc, since you will have two versions of gcc
installed on the box. That could cause a lot of trouble with maintenance
and 3-rd party libraries. In some extreme cases you would not be able to
run the executable obtained without adjusting loader settings (e.g. setting
LD_LlIBRARY_PATH for the executable).You would also loose some hot bug
fixes.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-18  6:39         ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-18  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mailbox

On Monday, September 17, 2012 8:14:26 AM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> You loose integration with the gcc, since you will have two versions of gcc
>
> installed on the box. That could cause a lot of trouble with maintenance
>
> and 3-rd party libraries.

GCC now on my machine is picking up the gcc in /usr/local/gnat-2012/bin/gcc and

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/local/gnat-2012/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.4/lto-wrapper
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/gnat --with-libelf=/caen.a/gnatmail/gpl-2012/build-caen/x86-linux/libmpfr/install --with-mpc=/caen.a/gnatmail/gpl-2012/build-caen/x86-linux/libmpfr/install --with-gmp=/caen.a/gnatmail/gpl-2012/build-caen/x86-linux/libmpfr/install --with-mpfr=/caen.a/gnatmail/gpl-2012/build-caen/x86-linux/libmpfr/install --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --enable-languages=c,ada,c++ --disable-nls --without-libiconv-prefix --disable-libmudflap --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libada --enable-checking=release --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-threads=posix --with-bugurl=URL:mailto:report@adacore.com --with-build-time-tools=/caen.a/gnatmail/gpl-2012/build-caen/x86-linux/gnat/obj
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.5.4 20120510 for GNAT GPL 2012 (20120509) (GCC)

So what can go wrong having the above?

I think the GCC that is already installed on my machines does not come with the Ada language enabled.

You would also loose some hot bug
> fixes.

What kind of fixes? Does AdaCore not periodically fix their GNAT?

I had earlier installed pure Debian in a Virtual Box but I got only a very small screen with a bad resolution. This problem is very common if you make a google search and there is no standard fix to it. So yes pure Debian boasts to be the best but it does not seem to do much effort as far as hardware compatibility is concerned. If people wants to use pure Debian and spend countless hours to tweak settings in order to get the proper screen resolution, then it is their choice.

I have Linux mint Debian and Crunchbang Linux in two Virtual Boxes and I did not have any problems with screen resolutions. As they are both direct derivatives of Debian, so why not use them?

I have earlier installed Debian Ada on Linux mint and on Crunchbang and then I got the same error message when launching GPS. I do not have the error message with me but the tips popup is not displayed when GPS is launched and a message is displayed in the message panel in GPS. Perhaps this is the reason that I went for GPL GNAT and here GPS launches well (I had to install the libjpeg62 library though on Crunchbang).

YC

@ 2012-09-18  7:41           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-09-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada novice wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> You loose integration with the gcc, since you will have two
>> versions of gcc installed on the box. That could cause a lot of
>> trouble with maintenance and 3-rd party libraries.
>
> GCC now on my machine is picking up the gcc in
> /usr/local/gnat-2012/bin/gcc and
>
> $ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> COLLECT_GCC=gcc
> COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/local/gnat-2012/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.4/lto-wrapper
> Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
[...]
> So what can go wrong having the above?

* A third-party library may build with GNAT GPL but not with GCC or vice
  versa.
* Once you've compiled a library with GNAT GPL you must use GNAT GPL for
  everything that depends on this library.
* You must therefore keep track of which compiler built what library and
  what object file.  Manually.
* When you upgrade your operating system, it is possible that you break
  your installation of GNAT GPL Edition.  This has happened in the past
  with the migration to multilib.
* When you upgrade your operating system, it is possible that you break
  your executables built with GNAT GPL Edition.

> I think the GCC that is already installed on my machines does not
> come with the Ada language enabled.

You think? What about the package gnat?

>> You would also loose some hot bug fixes.
>
> What kind of fixes? Does AdaCore not periodically fix their GNAT?

No but I do and I also fix other packages whenever I can.  The other
package maintainers too.

> I had earlier installed pure Debian in a Virtual Box but I got only
> a very small screen with a bad resolution. This problem is very
> common if you make a google search and there is no standard fix to
> it. So yes pure Debian boasts to be the best but it does not seem to
> do much effort as far as hardware compatibility is concerned. If
> people wants to use pure Debian and spend countless hours to tweak
> settings in order to get the proper screen resolution, then it is
> their choice.

I don't know about this problem; I don't run VirtualBox and don't
intend to.

> I have Linux mint Debian and Crunchbang Linux in two Virtual Boxes
> and I did not have any problems with screen resolutions. As they are
> both direct derivatives of Debian, so why not use them?

Because, by definition, they will always lag behind Debian and because
there is a possibility that they introduce new bugs; this has happened
in the past in other derivatives.  The Debian maintainers for Ada
expend great effort to ensure that all packages work well together;
derivatives take a snapshot of Debian at an arbitrary time, which may
break this compatibility (this has also happened in the past).

Because the Debian maintainers don't monitor the bug tracking systems
of derivatives.

Because derivatives don't have dedicated Ada maintainers, so if you
ever report a bug to a derivative, chances are nobody will ever look
at it.

> I have earlier installed Debian Ada on Linux mint and on Crunchbang
> and then I got the same error message when launching GPS.

I have no idea what error message you are talking about; please be
precise.

> I do not have the error message with me but the tips popup is not
> displayed when GPS is launched and a message is displayed in the
> message panel in GPS.

Again be precise; vague problem reports are useless.

> Perhaps this is the reason that I went for GPL GNAT and here GPS
> launches well (I had to install the libjpeg62 library though on
> Crunchbang).

GNAT GPL Edition is great if you agree to recompiling most everything
from scratch with every installation.  You'll know what I mean when
you try GtkAda or AWS, when you want to run your executable built
with GNAT GPL Edition on another machine and when you upgrade your
GNAT GPL Edition to a newer version.

Debian brings automatic dependency management, automatic upgrades and
a way to deploy binary executables without requiring end users to
compile anything.  Among other things.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The human resources focus on our projections across the board, while

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-18  7:46           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2012-09-18  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:39:50 -0700 (PDT), Ada novice wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2012 8:14:26 AM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>
>> You loose integration with the gcc, since you will have two versions of gcc
>> installed on the box. That could cause a lot of trouble with maintenance
>> and 3-rd party libraries.
>
> GCC now on my machine is picking up the gcc in /usr/local/gnat-2012/bin/gcc and

[...]
> So what can go wrong having the above?

No idea. GCC is a quite complicated mess. That is why I prefer not to
experiment with its manual installations. People did that already and
packaged it for you.

> I think the GCC that is already installed on my machines does not come
> with the Ada language enabled.

GNAT is a part of GCC, no less than other front-ends.

>> You would also loose some hot bug
>> fixes.
>
> What kind of fixes? Does AdaCore not periodically fix their GNAT?

GNAT GPL comes once a year.

> I had earlier installed pure Debian in a Virtual Box but I got only a very
> small screen with a bad resolution.

You should have enabled the hardware acceleration in the machine
configuration (Machine settings -> Display -> Enable 3D Acceleration), add
video memory etc. And if you are using guest graphics then do it in the
steamless mode rather than in the windowed one. Though all this is not
Debian problems (it has lots of its own).

And know what, the above is IMO a wrong way to use the virtual machine
anyway. Are you under Windows? Install Xming (that is an X11 server for
Windows). Log into the virtual machine using SSH with X11 tunneling. Start
gnome-terminal with the server of the host machine. Run GPS and enjoy life.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-19  1:39             ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-09-19  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> * A third-party library may build with GNAT GPL but not with GCC or vice
>   versa.

This is confusing. GNAT GPL provides gcc, with Ada and C, among other
languages. So does Debian; they are different versions of similar toolkits.

So I think you meant to say "may build with GNAT, but not with Debian".
And vice versa, of course.

> * Once you've compiled a library with GNAT GPL you must use GNAT GPL
> for everything that depends on this library.

Same statement is true of Debian Ada.

> * You must therefore keep track of which compiler built what library
> and what object file. Manually.

The point is that you cannot _mix_ libraries built with Debian and GNAT
in one executable. It might work, but you certainly not count on it.
Mixed Ada libraries will be rejected by the Ada compiler (they are more
strictly checked than C libraries).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-19  7:03             ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-19  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:41:01 AM UTC+1, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> No but I do and I also fix other packages whenever I can.  The other
>
> package maintainers too.

Gnat GPL can have more than one version a year and only the latest version of that year is kept on the website. Is there communication between you and Ada Core on which bugs you are fixing or which bugs they are fixing? How does it work? Gnat GPL is maintained by a large team I "suppose" while Debian Gnat is maintained by only you. As you can see, it may not be straightforward to go for Debian Gnat who is only maintained by one person. How much difference is there between Gnat GPL and Debian Ada?

> I don't know about this problem; I don't run VirtualBox and don't
>
> intend to.

Yes I said that I was vague in the problem description as I removed the Debian Ada and did not keep track of the error message at start. But it might be simply due to some files missing in the Debian derivatives distro. When I will have time and internet connection to install Debian Ada again, I shall let you know the exact error message.

I started to learn Linux via the Virtual Box and intend to continue with it till I can afford a separate computer to have Linux on the native hardware itself.

> > I have Linux mint Debian and Crunchbang Linux in two Virtual Boxes
>
> > and I did not have any problems with screen resolutions. As they are
>
> > both direct derivatives of Debian, so why not use them?
>

> Because, by definition, they will always lag behind Debian and because
>
> there is a possibility that they introduce new bugs; this has happened
>
> in the past in other derivatives.  The Debian maintainers for Ada
>
> expend great effort to ensure that all packages work well together;
>
> derivatives take a snapshot of Debian at an arbitrary time, which may
>
> break this compatibility (this has also happened in the past).

The repositories of the derivatives such as Crunchbang and Linux mint can be changed as well. One can pick the stable, testing or unstable Debian. So there should theoretically not be any discrepancies between the parent Debian and the derivatives. I am only guessing here as I am new to Linux!

> Because derivatives don't have dedicated Ada maintainers, so if you
>
> ever report a bug to a derivative, chances are nobody will ever look
>
> at it.

This can be true. Crunchbang is reputed to have an active community though I never participated in it.

> GNAT GPL Edition is great if you agree to recompiling most everything
>
> from scratch with every installation.  You'll know what I mean when
>
> you try GtkAda or AWS, when you want to run your executable built
>
> with GNAT GPL Edition on another machine and when you upgrade your
>
> GNAT GPL Edition to a newer version.

I install the Gnat GPL year-wise in folders like /usr/local/gnat-year. I can easily remove the complete directory as well. So upgrading Gnat is not a problem to the best of my knowledge. I do not work currently with GtkAda or AWS but for other people who do, then perhaps the packaged Debian Ada is the way to go.

YC

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-19  7:10             ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-19  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mailbox

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:46:04 AM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> GNAT GPL comes once a year.

Not true. They can have more than one version during a year but only the latest version is kept as for that year. I have seen this in the past possibly in 2010 or 2011. I do not remember well.

> You should have enabled the hardware acceleration in the machine
>
> configuration (Machine settings -> Display -> Enable 3D Acceleration), add
>
> video memory etc.

Yes I did all these things. This is why Linux mint and Crunchbang are working with a good screen size. But pure Debian is stubborn. Explaining the problem to a person who knows Linux, I was told to use Fedora instead but Fedora is really very slow in the virtual box!

>And if you are using guest graphics then do it in the
>
> steamless mode rather than in the windowed one.

I do not understand what you are talking here.

> And know what, the above is IMO a wrong way to use the virtual machine
>
> anyway. Are you under Windows? Install Xming (that is an X11 server for
>
> Windows). Log into the virtual machine using SSH with X11 tunneling. Start
>
> gnome-terminal with the server of the host machine. Run GPS and enjoy life.

Yes I use Windows as host. I have no idea of Xming but took a brief look at it yesterday. If you think it is better this way, then I will definitely try it when time permits. Thanks for the tip.

YC

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-19  8:21               ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2012-09-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:10:21 -0700 (PDT), Ada novice wrote:

> Explaining
> the problem to a person who knows Linux, I was told to use Fedora instead
> but Fedora is really very slow in the virtual box!

Maybe he meant Gnome 3 vs. that strange thing Debian comes with by default.

It is rumors. In fact Fedora is slightly quicker than Debian even with
Gnome 3. Though the difference is marginal. Fedora is more comfortable to
use and maintain than Debian. Aptitude is an abomination (do not tell that
any Debian guy! (:-)) But Fedora lacks the level of Ada support Debian
enjoys. In particular there is no packaged GPS, AFAIK.

Probably he compared a 64-bit Fedora vs. 32-bit Debian. That does make
difference! 64-bit is sufficiently slower than 32-bit, up to 30%, depending
on the application.

But the graphical framework is irrelevant anyway. Linux is desktop system
agnostic. There are dozens if not hundreds of desktop environments, beyond
Gnome and KDE.

>>And if you are using guest graphics then do it in the
>> steamless mode rather than in the windowed one.
>
> I do not understand what you are talking here.

Seamless mode is when the guest shares the desktop with the host. In the
windowed mode guest's GPS will have a window in window (together with all
other Debian stuff). In the seamless mode GPS's window will float on the
desktop as if it were a native Windows program. An X11 server would be the
final step in that direction. Under X11 server the GPS running on the guest
would be managed by the Windows window manager.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-20 21:15           ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2012-09-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mailbox

Den tisdagen den 18:e september 2012 kl. 08:39:50 UTC+2 skrev Ada novice:
> I had earlier installed pure Debian in a Virtual Box but I got only a very small screen with a bad >resolution. This problem is very common if you make a google search and there is no standard fix to it.

Did you install guest additions?
I find that it helps on my Lenovo T420s

--
Björn Lundin

* Re: GPS doesn't work in GNAT GPL
@ 2012-09-23 12:58             ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2012-09-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not have the Debian anymore. But you may be right as with Crunchbang, adding guest addtion helped as I noticed a few weeks ago. On the other hand, linux mint recognises the appropriate monitor resolution without any problem. Kudos to the linux mint team who take pain to do some testing first before releasing it to the public.

YC