From: "deadlyhead" <s.brutzman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Compiling GNAT GPL 2006 into GCC 4.1.1
Date: 9 Aug 2006 09:40:56 -0700
Date: 2006-08-09T09:40:56-07:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Am 09.08.2006, 10:47 Uhr, schrieb deadlyhead <s.brutzman@gmail.com>:
>
> No - and there is no real need. AdaCore send there patches upstream into
> the subversion trunk directory. So it you realy want it both you need to
> get 4.2.0 and live with the instabilities.
>
> On the other hand the 4.1.1 provides a good balance between stability and
> "latest greatest".
>
> A last Note: The GNU Project [1] is aways on the lookout for more Ada
> package maintainers.
>
> Martin
>
> [1] http://gnuada.sf.net
> --
> Martin Krischik
> krischik@users.sourceforge.net

Alright, I'm browsing through gnuada.sourceforge.net (great link!
thanks!), but just so I don't get lost, you're saying that AdaCore
routinely sends patches for the latest GNAT into GCC SVN?  Are we
talking active integration, then, of the Ada 2005/2006 standard into
GCC 4.2.x?  That's encouraging, and I wouldn't feel so bad about using
different compilers for the time being if an integrated GCC/GNAT-2006
is on the horizon.

You bring up an interesting course of action as well.  As much as I
hate C/C++, I know I need to improve my skills working with them, and
what better way to accomplish this than hacking on the compiler itself?
 Maybe jumping into GCC 4.2 wouldn't be such a bad thing.

-- Seth