From: beidler@guinness.cs.uofs.edu (Jack Beidler)
Subject: Re: REQ: CS2 Textbook Info. Needed
Date: 27 Jan 93 18:22:45 GMT	[thread overview]

I am not aware of any CS 2 books using Ada.  However, last year we
used Schneider and Bruell's new text from West Publishing Co.  The
book is written in a language independent style but with a
Pascal/Modula-2 flavor.  The book has several language supplements,
including an Ada supplement.  The supplement is very thin, but
can be enhanced with some Ada handouts.  We also encouraged our
students to purchase a good Ada reference, like Cohen or Barnes.

Last year we received a DARPA grant to develop materials for this
course and the data structures course.  A PC disk containing those
materials will be made available at the SIGCSE conference.  The
materials include

1.	A collection of data structure components (stacks, queues,
        lists, binary trees, n-ary trees, ...)
	The list and tree packages are dual paradign packages,
	supporting both the positional paradigm (a la the Stubbs and
	Webre data structures texts) and traditional LISP-like
	recursive paradigm.
2.	Laboratory Assignments, with support files.
3.	Several packages and pieces of code to support various
        CS 2 and CS 7 assignments.

We plan to use the text again this year, but we will modify the
syllabus to take better advantage of our Ada resources (e.g. more
separation between specs. and implementation details and in some cases
not get into implementation at all).

Regarding access types, we introduce them in CS 2 and give a lab.
assignment and one other assignment with them.  We prefer to give
a broader based CS 2 course and leave more of the access type
stuff for the CS 7 (data structures) course.
|  John (Jack) Beidler				                   |
|  Prof. of Computer Science Internet: BEIDLER@JAGUAR.UOFS.ED      |
|  University of Scranton              beidler@guinness.cs.uofs.edu|
|  Scranton, PA 18510	      Bitnet : BEIDLER@SCRANTON            |
|          Phone: (717) 941-7446	 FAX:   (717) 941-4250     |