* Re: How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
       [not found] <1153937625.891281.39820@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-07-26 21:20 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-07-26 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Lusardi wrote:
> Hello, my question is asked on the subject line.

Have you tried adapower.com and adaworld.com?

--
Jeff Carter
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of

@ 2006-07-27  1:35 ` Steve
       [not found]   ` <1154018482.334890.316930@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
From: Steve @ 2006-07-27  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Lusardi" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello, my question is asked on the subject line.
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

Can you be more specific about what non-standard library packages?

Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
       [not found]   ` <1154018482.334890.316930@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-07-27 17:00     ` Marius Amado-Alves
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Amado-Alves @ 2006-07-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
> available?

Yes, I also feel that computers by now should be able to answer
questions like that :-)

On Mac and some others the approximations are Spotlight and Google
Desktop (?) but on the VAX I dont know.

@ 2006-07-27 19:40     ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2006-07-27 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > Can you be more specific about what non-standard library packages?
>
> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
> available?

I sympathize.  I'm working with a brand new IBM 360 and I'm having the
same problem.

                        -- Adam

* Re: How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
@ 2006-07-27 20:00       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-07-27 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Amado-Alves <marius@amado-alves.info> writes:

>> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
>> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
>> available?
>
> Yes, I also feel that computers by now should be able to answer
> questions like that :-)
>
> On Mac and some others the approximations are Spotlight and Google
> Desktop (?) but on the VAX I dont know.

Debian has that, it is called:

sarge $ apt-cache rdepends libgnat-3.15p-1
etch $ apt-cache rdepends libgnat-4.1

or, use aptitude, synaptic or any other package browsing tool.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

@ 2006-07-28  8:07     ` Stuart
From: Stuart @ 2006-07-28  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message

> Steve wrote:
>> Can you be more specific about what non-standard library packages?
>
> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
> available?

If you mean pre-defined libraries pre-built into the Ada library I would
try:
   $ ACS DIRECTORY *

Outside the ACS I would also have a poke around SYS$LIBRARY:

  $ DIRECTORY SYS$LIBRARY:*.ADA, SYS$LIBRARY:*ADA*

You may find an Ada directory (ADALIB)!

Quite often for the VAX you may be looking for a suitable STARLET library!

Looking in the SYS$HELP and SYS$EXAMPLES directories may also turn up useful
information.
  $ DIRECTORY SYS$HELP:*ADA*
  $ DIRECTORY SYS$EXAMPLES:*ADA*

You could also poke around in the logical name tables

  $ SHOW LOGICAL ADA$*

(or SHOW LOGICAL *ADA* if you are feeling inquisitive).

Regards
--
Stuart

* Re: How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
       [not found]   ` <1154018482.334890.316930@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-07-28 16:31     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> Can you be more specific about what non-standard library packages?
>
> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
> available?

Well, "brand new" and "VAX" seem (almost) incompatible as VAX are not sold
any more.

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: How do I acquire information about non-standard library Ada packages
@ 2006-07-28 17:44       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stuart wrote:

> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Can you be more specific about what non-standard library packages?
>>
>> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
>> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
>> available?
>
> If you mean pre-defined libraries pre-built into the Ada library I would
> try:
>    $ ACS DIRECTORY *
>
> Outside the ACS I would also have a poke around SYS$LIBRARY:
>
>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$LIBRARY:*.ADA, SYS$LIBRARY:*ADA*
>
> You may find an Ada directory (ADALIB)!
>
> Quite often for the VAX you may be looking for a suitable STARLET library!
>
> Looking in the SYS$HELP and SYS$EXAMPLES directories may also turn up
> useful information.
>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$HELP:*ADA*
>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$EXAMPLES:*ADA*
>
> You could also poke around in the logical name tables
>
>   $ SHOW LOGICAL ADA$*
>
> (or SHOW LOGICAL *ADA* if you are feeling inquisitive).

Provided the OP really uses a legacy VAX and Dec Ada. For more modern
OpenVMS systems GNAT is also available.

Martin
--

@ 2006-07-31 14:00         ` Bob Spooner
From: Bob Spooner @ 2006-07-31 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> Stuart wrote:
>
>> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> In general terms, I was wondering if there is a way to determine after
>>> I log onto a brand new VAX system what non-standard libraries are
>>> available?
>>
>> If you mean pre-defined libraries pre-built into the Ada library I would
>> try:
>>    $ ACS DIRECTORY *
>>
>> Outside the ACS I would also have a poke around SYS$LIBRARY:
>>
>>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$LIBRARY:*.ADA, SYS$LIBRARY:*ADA*
>>
>> You may find an Ada directory (ADALIB)!
>>
>> Quite often for the VAX you may be looking for a suitable STARLET
>> library!
>>
>> Looking in the SYS$HELP and SYS$EXAMPLES directories may also turn up
>> useful information.
>>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$HELP:*ADA*
>>   $ DIRECTORY SYS$EXAMPLES:*ADA*
>>
>> You could also poke around in the logical name tables
>>
>>   $ SHOW LOGICAL ADA$*
>>
>> (or SHOW LOGICAL *ADA* if you are feeling inquisitive).
>
> Provided the OP really uses a legacy VAX and Dec Ada. For more modern
> OpenVMS systems GNAT is also available.
>
> Martin
> --
> mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
> Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

A side note:

For those who are using DEC ^h^h^hCompaq^h^h^h^h^h^hHP Ada, I wouldn't count
on it being ported to the Itanium processor once Alphas aren't available any
longer. The debugger which worked correctly  on VAXs  has _never_ worked
correctly for Alphas in the case of unconstrained array types and variant
records. So if you say:

type Index is range (0..10);

type Block is array (Index range <>) of integer;

type My_Data (Count : Index := 0) is record
   Data : Block (1..Count);
end record;

the debugger will only know how to find the first value, and data stored
after an instance of My_Data will not be accessed correctly either.

Given how long the Alpha has been around without this having been fixed, in
my opinion the writing is on the wall. If you have to use Ada 83 rather than
a newer version, it's time to plan accordingly.

Bob