* Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-05-27 16:02 marktxx
From: marktxx @ 2006-05-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since XMI was discussed recently in this forum. Can anyone name some
tools that "reverse engineer"  (using this term loosely) Ada 83 code to
XMI and/or UML?  Commercial or non-commercial.

 Static structure only is OK because this would help us identify and
reuse existing code in a follow-on design project.  (For large projects
people still like diagrams.)

 Any experience with Rhapsody-Ada, Artisan-Ada or Pragsoft UMLStudio ?

   thanks

   Mark

* Re: Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-05-27 18:17 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-05-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

marktxx@yahoo.com wrote:

> Since XMI was discussed recently in this forum. Can anyone name some
> tools that "reverse engineer"  (using this term loosely) Ada 83 code to
> XMI and/or UML?  Commercial or non-commercial.
>
>  Static structure only is OK because this would help us identify and
> reuse existing code in a follow-on design project.  (For large projects
> people still like diagrams.)
>
>  Any experience with Rhapsody-Ada, Artisan-Ada or Pragsoft UMLStudio ?

Rational Ada <-> Rational Rose <-> XMI

is the only setup that comes to my mind.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-05-28  9:21 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-05-28  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

marktxx@yahoo.com writes:

> Since XMI was discussed recently in this forum. Can anyone name some
> tools that "reverse engineer" (using this term loosely) Ada 83 code
> to XMI and/or UML?  Commercial or non-commercial.

>  Any experience with Rhapsody-Ada, Artisan-Ada or Pragsoft
>  UMLStudio?

No experience, but I know that Artisan will reverse-engineer Ada 95
(to Artisan's UML Ada-profile) so you stand a reasonable chance.

* Re: Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-05-29  9:33 ` pth
From: pth @ 2006-05-29  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark,

you can try Headway Review,
http://headwaysoftware.com/products/review/. Review uses advanced
reverse engineering and static analysis techniques to create a powerful
code comprehension, code review, and source code visualization tool for
Architects and Team Leads.

It will certainly help you understand what parts of the code you want
to reuse.

One caveat: you dont specify what compiler you use for the Ada83 code.
If the code compiles with GNAT then its a no-brainer, you get the model
instantly from the GNAT adt files, no need to spend time laying out
diagrams or struggling with the reverse engineering. But I should also
point out that we have a number of customers using Review with non-GNAT
based code, I know for certain it includes Greenhills and SunAda. If
you download and try it out, one of our guys will be happy to help you
get up and running.

best regards,
Paul

* Re: Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-07-18 14:00 okellogg
From: okellogg @ 2006-07-18 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 27 2006 6:02 pm, marktxx@yahoo.com wrote:

> Since XMI was discussed recently in this forum. Can anyone name some
> tools that "reverse engineer"  (using this term loosely) Ada 83 code to
> XMI and/or UML?  Commercial or non-commercial.

In the open source world, Umbrello (http://www.umbrello.org) does
forward and
reverse engineering of various languages including Ada.

Hope this helps

Oliver M. Kellogg

* Re: Ada to XMI tool?
@ 2006-07-26 16:28 ` pth