* Ada for the JVM?
@ 2016-03-14  2:26 egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2016-03-14  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed GNAT GPL 2015, but I can't find JGNAT.  Has it been
discontinued?  If so, are there alternatives to compile Ada for the JVM?

Thanks.

* Re: Ada for the JVM?
@ 2016-03-14 12:09 ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-03-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14.03.16 03:26, egarrulo wrote:
> I have installed GNAT GPL 2015, but I can't find JGNAT.  Has it been
> discontinued?  If so, are there alternatives to compile Ada for the JVM?

You should be able to get an earlier (year's) release,
I think. Also, now that Tucker Taft has joined AdaCore,
I'd ask if AppletMagic is available from them. This
Ada->JVM copmiler did have some Ada 2005 support 10 years back
from now, and was using the AdaMagic compiler front end that
was (is?) also used by other compilers, notably ObjectAda.

* Re: Ada for the JVM?
@ 2016-03-14 12:27   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2016-03-14 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

G.B. <bauhaus@futureapps.invalid> wrote:
> On 14.03.16 03:26, egarrulo wrote:
>> I have installed GNAT GPL 2015, but I can't find JGNAT.  Has it been
>> discontinued?  If so, are there alternatives to compile Ada for the JVM?
>
> You should be able to get an earlier (year's) release,

Pure GPL though 👎👎👎

Luke

* Re: Ada for the JVM?
@ 2016-03-15  0:46     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-03-15  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pure GPL though 👎👎👎

Someone may be confused with the GPL on the compiler which is no issues, it is only that they use the technicality that one can removed the runtime exceptions at will to create a shareware version with GPL virused runtimes.

David Botton

* Re: Ada for the JVM?
@ 2016-03-16  0:31       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2016-03-16  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
>> Pure GPL though 👎👎👎
>
> Someone may be confused with the GPL on the compiler which is no issues,
> it is only that they use the technicality that one can removed the
> runtime exceptions at will to create a shareware version with GPL virused runtimes.
>
> David Botton

True but any runtime will be GPL and any tools generating Ada bindings to
Java will be also. Plus the Ada.Interfaces.Java packages will be too.