* looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-27  9:07 news.hinet.net
From: news.hinet.net @ 2006-06-27  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
does anyone known where it is?
or  still in progress?

Thanks

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-27  9:51 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-06-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:07 +0800, news.hinet.net wrote:
> hi,
> does anyone known where it is?
> or  still in progress?

According to one of the authors of Ada mode for Emacs,
who works for the producers of GPS,
they are concentrating on GPS ("we never looked back").

Some of the Emacs Lisp can be changed easily, like adding
the three new keywords to the list of reserved words.

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-27 16:45   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-06-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:07 +0800, news.hinet.net wrote:
>> hi,
>> does anyone known where it is?
>> or  still in progress?
>
> According to one of the authors of Ada mode for Emacs,
> who works for the producers of GPS,
> they are concentrating on GPS ("we never looked back").
>
> Some of the Emacs Lisp can be changed easily, like adding
> the three new keywords to the list of reserved words.

The GNU Ada project [1] would welcome any new emacs maintainer (as we have
done for vim support). We now offer prepackaged vims with intelis...[tm]
sorry: omni completion[2].

Martin

[1] gnuada.sf.net
[2] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_vi:Vim#Omni_Completion

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-29 17:31   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-06-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:

> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:07 +0800, news.hinet.net wrote:
>> hi,
>> does anyone known where it is?
>> or  still in progress?
>
> According to one of the authors of Ada mode for Emacs,
> who works for the producers of GPS,
> they are concentrating on GPS ("we never looked back").
>
> Some of the Emacs Lisp can be changed easily, like adding
> the three new keywords to the list of reserved words.

I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.

However, I am waiting for AdaCore to release their test suite for the
indentatino engine. They have some proprietary (customer) Ada code in the
test suite, so they have to strip that out.

If you could pressure them to do that, things would move forward.

I've added the new Ada 2005 keywords to my copy of Emacs Ada mode, but
only for fontify, not for indentation.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-29 20:18     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-06-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> However, I am waiting for AdaCore to release their test suite for the
> indentatino engine. They have some proprietary (customer) Ada code in the
> test suite, so they have to strip that out.

Is the indentatino the basic particle for mediating indentations? Is it
anything like the questino, the basic particle for mediating interrogatives?

--
Jeff Carter
"I unclog my nose towards you."

* New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-30  6:14     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-06-30  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.

Super. Would you like to join the GNU Ada Project? We allready maintain
the current ada mode for vim [2] and would welcome emacs as well.

Just get youself an sourceforce user and drop us a support request [3].

Martin

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada
[2] http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/gnuada/trunk/tools/vim
[3] http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12974&atid=212974

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-30 13:00     ` lekktu
From: lekktu @ 2006-06-30 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.

Where will that be maintained? Directly on the Emacs CVS repository, or
as a separate project? Currently there are differences between
adamode-3.6 and the ada-*.el packages in the Emacs tree, it'd be good
to unify these somehow.

> I've added the new Ada 2005 keywords to my copy of Emacs Ada mode, but
> only for fontify, not for indentation.

I was about to do that to mine. Is your patched copy available
somewhere?

     Juanma

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-30 15:15       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-06-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.not.jrcarter@acm.not.spam.org> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> However, I am waiting for AdaCore to release their test suite for the
>> indentatino engine. They have some proprietary (customer) Ada code in the
>> test suite, so they have to strip that out.
>
> Is the indentatino the basic particle for mediating indentations? Is
> it anything like the questino, the basic particle for mediating
> interrogatives?

Yes. I'm working on a general field theory for indentations, which
will include the typino as a special case. Hopefully, it will prove to
have only peaceful applications.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-30 18:51         ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-06-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Yes. I'm working on a general field theory for indentations, which
> will include the typino as a special case.

Cool! Please keep us informed on the progress of quantum indentodynamics.

> Hopefully, it will prove to have only peaceful applications.

So it will only be applicable to indentation in languages that are
unsuitable for weapons systems?

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-06-30 21:53       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-30 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.
>
> Super. Would you like to join the GNU Ada Project? We allready maintain
> the current ada mode for vim [2] and would welcome emacs as well.
>
> Just get youself an sourceforce user and drop us a support request [3].

Please consider joining the upstream emacs project instead.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-01 15:51       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-07-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"lekktu@gmail.com" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.
>
> Where will that be maintained? Directly on the Emacs CVS repository, or
> as a separate project? Currently there are differences between
> adamode-3.6 and the ada-*.el packages in the Emacs tree, it'd be good
> to unify these somehow.

I plan to maintain it in the Emacs CVS repository.

>> I've added the new Ada 2005 keywords to my copy of Emacs Ada mode, but
>> only for fontify, not for indentation.
>
> I was about to do that to mine. Is your patched copy available
> somewhere?

http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ . Get stephe-emacs.tar.gz. Hmm.
The description of "ada-mode-patches.el" is wrong; I'll have to fix
that.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-01 15:52           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-07-01 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Yes. I'm working on a general field theory for indentations, which
>> will include the typino as a special case.
>
> Cool! Please keep us informed on the progress of quantum indentodynamics.

To bad that doesn't abbreviate as QED :).

>> Hopefully, it will prove to have only peaceful applications.
>
> So it will only be applicable to indentation in languages that are
> unsuitable for weapons systems?

Hmm. I'd prefer it read the mind of the author, and produce garbage
results when the code is for an actual weapon system. But that seems
off topic :).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-01 16:03             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-07-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> writes:
> Hmm. I'd prefer it read the mind of the author, and produce garbage
> results when the code is for an actual weapon system. But that seems
> off topic :).

I thought it was the weapon itself that was supposed to produce
garbage :-)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-01 20:46             ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-07-01 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Bj�rn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:
>> Cool! Please keep us informed on the progress of quantum indentodynamics.
>
> To bad that doesn't abbreviate as QED :).

Well, QED is taken by quantum electrodynamics. We can't have two quantum
theories with the same abbreviation, can we? :-)

--

@ 2006-07-01 23:21         ` lekktu
From: lekktu @ 2006-07-01 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I plan to maintain it in the Emacs CVS repository.

Cool.

> http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ . Get stephe-emacs.tar.gz. Hmm.

OK, I'll take a look.

Thanks,
           Juanma

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-02  8:30               ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-07-02  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson wrote:
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Bj�rn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:
>>> Cool! Please keep us informed on the progress of quantum
>>> indentodynamics.
>>
>> To bad that doesn't abbreviate as QED :).
>
> Well, QED is taken by quantum electrodynamics. We can't have two quantum
> theories with the same abbreviation, can we? :-)

Why, isn't it likely anyway to have many of them scattered around?

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-02 15:10         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-02 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> "Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Stephen Leake wrote:
>>
>>> I have volunteered to be the new Gnu Emacs Ada mode maintainer.
>>
>> Super. Would you like to join the GNU Ada Project? We allready maintain
>> the current ada mode for vim [2] and would welcome emacs as well.
>>
>> Just get youself an sourceforce user and drop us a support request [3].
>
> Please consider joining the upstream emacs project instead.

Sure. But joining the upstream is also an upstream struggle. Ada is then
only one minor part of the hole project. For example: In the vim
development the runtime files/scripts are only changed when a new version
comes out. vim 7.0 is fairly new so it can take quite a while until vim 7.1
comes out.

Martin
--

@ 2006-07-02 17:19           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-07-02 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik writes:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> Please consider joining the upstream emacs project instead.
>
> Sure. But joining the upstream is also an upstream struggle. Ada is then
> only one minor part of the hole project. For example: In the vim
> development the runtime files/scripts are only changed when a new version
> comes out. vim 7.0 is fairly new so it can take quite a while until vim 7.1
> comes out.

That is a short-sighted argument.  Yes, it takes more effort to join
the upstream team.  So what?  The benefits are well worth it.  As more
and more tools gain native support for Ada more people will be
intrigued and consider using Ada in their software.  The upstream
authors themselves might be sufficiently intrigued to investigate the
language.  Contrast this with separate add-ons that require potential
users:

- to be aware of their existence
- to be convinced that they are well integrated in their tool
- to actively look for them
- to download them
- to install them
- to maintain them when their tool changes

That is the reason why I have joined the Debian GCC maintainers,
rather than maintaining gnat separately from GCC.  And that is the
reason why, a while ago, I recommended that you do the same for your
distribution of choice.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-02 17:28             ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-07-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Martin Krischik writes:
>> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>> Please consider joining the upstream emacs project instead.
>>
>> Sure. But joining the upstream is also an upstream struggle. Ada is then
>> only one minor part of the hole project. For example: In the vim
>> development the runtime files/scripts are only changed when a new version
>> comes out. vim 7.0 is fairly new so it can take quite a while until vim 7.1
>> comes out.
>
> That is a short-sighted argument.  Yes, it takes more effort to join
> the upstream team.  So what?  The benefits are well worth it.  As more
> and more tools gain native support for Ada more people will be
> intrigued and consider using Ada in their software.  The upstream
> authors themselves might be sufficiently intrigued to investigate the
> language.  Contrast this with separate add-ons that require potential
> users:
>
> - to be aware of their existence
> - to be convinced that they are well integrated in their tool
> - to actively look for them
> - to download them
> - to install them
> - to maintain them when their tool changes
>
> That is the reason why I have joined the Debian GCC maintainers,
> rather than maintaining gnat separately from GCC.  And that is the
> reason why, a while ago, I recommended that you do the same for your
> distribution of choice.

And that is also why GNAT was integrated into GCC, raising awareness
of Ada to unprecedented levels.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: looking for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-03 10:15               ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-07-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Björn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
> > Bj�rn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:
> >> Cool! Please keep us informed on the progress of quantum indentodynamics.
> >
> > To bad that doesn't abbreviate as QED :).
>
> Well, QED is taken by quantum electrodynamics. We can't have two quantum
> theories with the same abbreviation, can we? :-)

Oh, yes we can. In QM we can. Saying "QED" would only determine some
properties of theorie you wanted to refer to, effectively projecting
the statevector (of the meaning you would want to convey) into a
subspace. The meaning of QED would be a linear superposition of two
meanings:

   \Psi = a\Psi_1 + b\Psi_2

This superposition collapses if a "measurement" is done, that is, if
after a period of growing confusion the listener is asking back what
you're talking about and what you mean by QED.

You see, it's all accounted for.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-04 13:12               ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-07-04 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>
>> Martin Krischik writes:
>>>
>>> Sure. But joining the upstream is also an upstream struggle. Ada is then
>>> only one minor part of the hole project. For example: In the vim
>>> development the runtime files/scripts are only changed when a new version
>>> comes out. vim 7.0 is fairly new so it can take quite a while until vim 7.1
>>> comes out.
>>
>> That is a short-sighted argument.  Yes, it takes more effort to join
>> the upstream team.  So what?  The benefits are well worth it.  As more
>> and more tools gain native support for Ada more people will be
>> intrigued and consider using Ada in their software.  The upstream
>> authors themselves might be sufficiently intrigued to investigate the
>> language.  Contrast this with separate add-ons that require potential
>> users:
>>
>> - to be aware of their existence
>> - to be convinced that they are well integrated in their tool
>> - to actively look for them
>> - to download them
>> - to install them
>> - to maintain them when their tool changes
>>
>> That is the reason why I have joined the Debian GCC maintainers,
>> rather than maintaining gnat separately from GCC.  And that is the
>> reason why, a while ago, I recommended that you do the same for your
>> distribution of choice.
>
> And that is also why GNAT was integrated into GCC, raising awareness
> of Ada to unprecedented levels.

I plan to join the 'upstream emacs' project. However, it may also be
useful, as Martin points out, to have a place to do intermediate
releases. The Sourceforge Gnu Ada project seems like a reasonable
place, although a Savannah project might be more appropriate.

I hope to set up a Gnu Emacs Ada mode mailing list somewhere, to
discuss the future of Ada mode, and details about proposed changes.

Is that possible on the Sourceforge site (a dedicated mailing list)?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-04 13:31                 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-07-04 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I plan to join the 'upstream emacs' project. However, it may also be
> useful, as Martin points out, to have a place to do intermediate
> releases. The Sourceforge Gnu Ada project seems like a reasonable
> place, although a Savannah project might be more appropriate.
>
> I hope to set up a Gnu Emacs Ada mode mailing list somewhere, to
> discuss the future of Ada mode, and details about proposed changes.
>
> Is that possible on the Sourceforge site (a dedicated mailing list)?

Yes. It is possible to create a sub forum or mailing list within the
GNUAda sourceforge site.

* Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
@ 2006-07-04 13:37                 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-07-04 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake writes :
> I plan to join the 'upstream emacs' project. However, it may also be
> useful, as Martin points out, to have a place to do intermediate
> releases. The Sourceforge Gnu Ada project seems like a reasonable
> place, although a Savannah project might be more appropriate.
>
> I hope to set up a Gnu Emacs Ada mode mailing list somewhere, to
> discuss the future of Ada mode, and details about proposed changes.
>
> Is that possible on the Sourceforge site (a dedicated mailing list)?

Yes, all of that is possible with SourceForge. However, I recommend
against it, because it is also possible with Savannah, and emacs is
already a Savannah project which you can join. You can request a new
mailing list (emacs already has 8 of them), and make point releases on
a branch (there are already many branches and tags in the repository).
They use CVS and GNU arch with bridges between them, so you can choose
the one you like best. It is possible that they ask you to assign your
copyright to the Free Software Foundation. That's what it takes to
become an official GNU maintainer :-)

I think it would be worthwhile to ask the upstream maintainers on the
emacs-devel mailing list how they feel about publishing tarballs of
point releases. On the download page, I see only full releases of
emacs, not of individual programming modes. If they don't want you to
publish point releases of ada-mode, then SourceForge might become a
good fall-back solution; I'm sure Martin and friends will be happy to
provide shelter for a poor emacs castaway :-)

As far as I'm concerned, I am very much used to taking sources from
CVS, Subversion, Monotone or other repositories for packaging, so I do
not absolutely need tarballs. I only ask that you tag your sources
properly in the repository :-)

All you wanted to know about emacs but were afraid to ask is here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

--
Ludovic Brenta.