From: "Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: New mainainer for emcas ada2005 mode
Date: 4 Jul 2006 06:37:59 -0700
Date: 2006-07-04T06:37:59-07:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake writes :
> I plan to join the 'upstream emacs' project. However, it may also be
> useful, as Martin points out, to have a place to do intermediate
> releases. The Sourceforge Gnu Ada project seems like a reasonable
> place, although a Savannah project might be more appropriate.
>
> I hope to set up a Gnu Emacs Ada mode mailing list somewhere, to
> discuss the future of Ada mode, and details about proposed changes.
>
> Is that possible on the Sourceforge site (a dedicated mailing list)?

Yes, all of that is possible with SourceForge. However, I recommend
against it, because it is also possible with Savannah, and emacs is
already a Savannah project which you can join. You can request a new
mailing list (emacs already has 8 of them), and make point releases on
a branch (there are already many branches and tags in the repository).
They use CVS and GNU arch with bridges between them, so you can choose
the one you like best. It is possible that they ask you to assign your
copyright to the Free Software Foundation. That's what it takes to
become an official GNU maintainer :-)

I think it would be worthwhile to ask the upstream maintainers on the
emacs-devel mailing list how they feel about publishing tarballs of
point releases. On the download page, I see only full releases of
emacs, not of individual programming modes. If they don't want you to
publish point releases of ada-mode, then SourceForge might become a
good fall-back solution; I'm sure Martin and friends will be happy to
provide shelter for a poor emacs castaway :-)

As far as I'm concerned, I am very much used to taking sources from
CVS, Subversion, Monotone or other repositories for packaging, so I do
not absolutely need tarballs. I only ask that you tag your sources
properly in the repository :-)

All you wanted to know about emacs but were afraid to ask is here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

--
Ludovic Brenta.