From: "Lance" <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: c2ada
Date: 3 Jun 2006 21:59:34 -0700
Date: 2006-06-03T21:59:34-07:00	[thread overview]

Nasser Abbasi wrote:
> "Lance" <lanceboyle@qwest.net> wrote in message
> > Has anyone used c2ada recently? I've found (mentioned in this group's
> > archives) this link:
> >
> > http://12000.org/my_notes/ada/#_Toc106481150
> >
> > and it seems to be a substantial piece of work, but it won't compile on
> > OS X 10.4.6 and I'm having negative fun trying to fix the C source (I
> > don't know much about C).
> >
> > Jerry
> >

> hi;
>
> When I did the above 'port' it was few years ago to red hat linux.
>
> I have not visited this since then.  I really need to try to build this
> again on new linux systems when I have some time. I do not have access to OS
> X to try it.
>
> It might be just a matter of making some changes to the Makefile, or small
> tweek of the header files. without knowing what errors you are getting, hard
> to know.
>
> If you do manage to port it to OS X, I can post it on my web page above with
> credit to you for porting it.
>
> Nasser

I could give a few more details but one of the main problems was
apparently every occurrence of _bool. The compiler didn't like it at
all. (Note the underline at the beginning.) I just started commenting
it out whenever it popped up, to help the compiler get over the
immediate problem, but I didn't think that was a very robust solution.
There were a couple of other things that seemed fairly minor as well.
But I wasn't at all sure that my commenting-out exercise would work
when it was all done, and all I needed was to make a thin binding (to
PLplot) and it seemed more direct to learn a bit of regex and do the
rest by hand.

Also, there seemed to be two or three lines at the beginning of
gperf-related file which caused gperf to choke, but deleting them
seemed to solve that problem.

If I return to the project I'll post back here, or I can fill you in on
some more details of what I did a couple days ago. Like I mentioned in
my first post, it is a substantial piece of work and it would be a
shame to have it wither away. I understand the company that was was
responsible for creating it was purchased several years ago.

Jerry