From: "REH" <spamjunk@stny.rr.com>
Subject: Exceptions and Streams
Date: 20 May 2006 09:03:04 -0700
Date: 2006-05-20T09:03:04-07:00	[thread overview]

I have a stream class that just writes the stream data to an array.
This is used to marsal parameters to make distributed calls in another
address space.  I have two questions about streams:

1) Does 11.4.1 (16) of the RM (see below) say that I can stream an
exception occurrance to another address space and re-raise it?  Note
that I am not using "partitions" as defined in the  Distributed Ada
Annex, but just separate address spaces.

"The implementation of the Write attribute (see 13.13.2) of
Exception_Occurrence shall support writing a representation of an
exception occurrence to a stream; the implementation of the Read
attribute of Exception_Occurrence shall support reconstructing an
exception occurrence from a stream (including one written in a
different partition)."

2) Is there an easy way to determine the number of elements an object
of a given type will write to a stream before hand?  I need to know how
big to make the array to hold all a procedures parameters, and I don't
want to have to hard-code things like dupe vector sizes.

Much appreciated,

REH