* Re: Advanced scripting languages
@ 2004-09-04 18:25 Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2004-09-04 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

   I agree with Randy with one caveat:
   The front-end of the compiler should be the same as the one used for
normal compilation; however, the environment should include a group of
precompiled packages (such as in .Net or the Java environment) together with
a very fast link and bind.  This would help for common actions like the
management of directories or code development.  Presently GNAT employs a
specialized Ada like language for their development environment; Alsys had
Ada World. Given the speed of the front ends of present Ada compilers, I
believe that this part of Ada compiler is suitable for creating batch files.
The error messages would be a significant benefit.
      Bob Leif

      From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
      Subject: Re: Advanced scripting languages (was: Learning Ada83)
      To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

      "Bjvrn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote in message
      Marius Amado Alves wrote:

      >>> It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
      >>> scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby....
      >>
      >> Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!
      >
      >Sure, a *lot* more advanced than bat files. ;-)

      That's funny, because if it's complicated enough that I can't write a
batch
      file to do it, I'll generally write it in Ada. Bat has If and Goto,
and that
      is enough for simple tasks. Beyond that, I want to be able to fix it
and be
      able to insure that it works...

                         Randy.

* Re: Advanced scripting languages
@ 2004-09-04 19:52 ` Rod Haper
From: Rod Haper @ 2004-09-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif wrote:
>    I agree with Randy with one caveat:
>    The front-end of the compiler should be the same as the one used for
> normal compilation; however, the environment should include a group of
> precompiled packages (such as in .Net or the Java environment) together with
> a very fast link and bind.  This would help for common actions like the
> management of directories or code development.  Presently GNAT employs a
> specialized Ada like language for their development environment; Alsys had
> Ada World. Given the speed of the front ends of present Ada compilers, I
> believe that this part of Ada compiler is suitable for creating batch files.
> The error messages would be a significant benefit.
>       Bob Leif
>

>       From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
>       Subject: Re: Advanced scripting languages (was: Learning Ada83)
>       To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org
>
>       "Bjvrn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote in message
>       Marius Amado Alves wrote:
>
>       >>> It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
>       >>> scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby....
>       >>
>       >> Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!
>       >
>       >Sure, a *lot* more advanced than bat files. ;-)
>
>       That's funny, because if it's complicated enough that I can't write a
> batch
>       file to do it, I'll generally write it in Ada. Bat has If and Goto,
> and that
>       is enough for simple tasks. Beyond that, I want to be able to fix it
> and be
>       able to insure that it works...
>
>                          Randy.

Doesn't BUSH's AdaScript begin to fit this niche?

http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/downloads/bushguide.html

---
Rod

* Re: Advanced scripting languages
@ 2004-09-05  8:31   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-09-05  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Haper <rhaper@houston.rr.com> writes:

> Doesn't BUSH's AdaScript begin to fit this niche?

BUSH looks very good, but it does not run on Windows. It is rare to have
scripts only on GNU/Linux... If ported to Windows it would be a very nice
cross-platform scripting environment.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Advanced scripting languages
@ 2004-09-05 12:28     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-09-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Rod Haper <rhaper@houston.rr.com> writes:
>
>> Doesn't BUSH's AdaScript begin to fit this niche?
>
> BUSH looks very good, but it does nrobust on Windows. It is rare to have
> scripts only on GNU/Linux... If ported to Windows it would be a very nice
> cross-platform scripting environment.

This is one of the reasons I started the AdaCL projects. Main goal here was
to provide a framework to write scripts directly in Ada.

Was it a success? I still don't know. The Scripts work fine with Windows,
OS/2 and Linux. But it does take a little more time to write them. But then
they are more robust then for example Bash.

The other thing that spoke against Bush: It is not feature rich enough -
yet. I did some Bush scripts and then hit the limit of Bush. The most
problematic part was the the handling of the current working directory.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net