From: "kevin  cline" <kevin.cline@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why C for the Open Source Movement?
Date: 7 May 2006 20:46:25 -0700
Date: 2006-05-07T20:46:25-07:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> zeta_no wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > Can someone explain me the reasons why the main actors of the Open
> > Source community didn't choose Ada instead of C to write the core
> > elements of their systems (Linux, Hurd, FreeBSD etc...) ,,,
>
> All of those projects started before there was a freely available Ada
> compiler.

And even if there had been a compiler, Ada-83 was ill-suited for the
work.  The language was crippled by design to prevent certain classes
of bugs.  Unfortunately, this also made certain classes of applications
difficult to develop.  Nor does Ada's verbosity seem to appeal to the
majority of programmers motivated to do public-domain work.