From: "Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>" <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject: Re: plain Ada streams with Windows(TM)
Date: 4 May 2006 19:27:13 -0700
Date: 2006-05-04T19:27:13-07:00	[thread overview]

Text_Streams is perhaps too slow?.

It seems that Ada 95 can't do I/O and vendors don't wish to modify
Annex to make even the tinies most essential changes.

Perhaps the worst of Ada.Text_IO is that it truncates on truncates when
hitting a file ending character.

What is needed is Ada bindings to C stream routines, and ideally all
GNU I/O routines provided that the bindings run with the MSVCRT DLL.

Florist POSIX and Mr Obry's Win32 version does not seem useful. GNAT
*Crt* files are somewhat incomplete, and lack a version of the GNU C
Lib getline () routine that can use the MSVCRT fgets () or whatever it
is.

Ada's Annex A I/O offerings do not seem to have acceptable quality for
DragonflyBSD/FreeBSD etceta. (Possibly Mr Krischik could tell us if Ada
has an I/O subsystem that is of acceptable virtue for wiki-Linux...)