From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: of possible interest
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 01:30:27 +0200
Date: 2006-05-05T01:29:49+02:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 21:26 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> "Marco" <prenom_nomus@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Is another VM necessary for resource-constrained embedded devices?
> > Ada mentioned
> >
> > http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187000395
>
> Quite interesting indeed.  For embedded software, Aonix are promoting
> a new, unproven, proprietary development and run-time environment
> derived from Java,

I'd not be so sure about this. If you actually look at the
things Aonix offers under the heading "Java", you will notice
a number of familiar items. One has the qualification Raven,
for a start...

The "Java" has @AnnoTations that let me speculate they do use
their Ada experience to build something that is more marketable
yet incorporates lots of Ada, and possibly more, even when
this is not syntactically apparent.

>  a notoriously unsafe language,

They don't just use Java, really, considering names like
@StaticallyAnalyzable in their language. An ahead-of-time
compiler is not the same thing as a JIT, either.

>  while at the same
> time admitting that Ada has been just fine for these environments for
> 23 years.

I'm curious whether there isn't a financial incentive: The J-word
sells much better than the A-word, so how do we find a compromise
between {}s and language rigor, for display software of smartphones
or ticket machines, etc.

I also do not understand your qualification of the "development and
run-time environment derived from Java". It's Eclipse AFAICT, so
neither exactly unproven nor totally black-box-proprietary stuff,
seen from a Java perspective.

OTOH, what's the effect of 'Img on Ada?

Georg