From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: How available is 'freely available' ?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:07:43 +0200
Date: 2006-04-22T12:07:15+02:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 14:26 -0700, flupp wrote:

>  But I am not really 100% sure about the legal
> issues when using it for commercial development:

You are free to use pure GPL software in commercial software
development *iff* the terms of the license (GPL) meet your
commercial needs.
 We do part of our commercial software development using GPL
software. Many others do this, too. But this part of the software
is used commercially without distributing it at all, or without
distributing it to third parties in binary form only.

License and commerce are really two different dimensions
in this case.

It depends on whether or not your intent is to produce
closed source binary software for distribution
to third parties, or open source + binary for distribution
to third parties, distribution of source only, or no
distribution at all, and so on.
As Ludovic explains, distribution of binaries only is
where the GPL matters.

-- Georg