From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:50:12 +0200
Date: 2006-03-30T13:43:56+02:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 09:31 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:37:23 +0200, Gautier wrote:
>
> > What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
> > of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
> > versions are not of importance) ?
>
> GNADE (http://gnade.sourceforge.net)

Yes, although this choice will affect portability, because
for example the ODBC binding requires 64 bit datatype
declarations to work (SQLBIGINT).
Not all Ada compilers support this range.

> > I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
> > compiler-independent solution, if it exists.
>
> As far as I can tell, that should be no problem.

The sources announce that

"--  GNADE is implemented to work with GNAT, the GNU Ada
     compiler.            --"

GNADE is GNAT dependent in a few places. Some GNAT packages
are with'd in bodies. (The vendor specific 'Img attribute seems
to make it into production software, in spite of its documented
purpose (quick debugging function for the lazy typist). (Is
Microsoft's language modification habit at work here? :-) :-)))

You could make a few changes to the GNADE sources, and get a
plain Ada program for "32 bit compilers", if the GNADE licensing
conditions meet your needs.

GNADE *is* a great framework for SQL database access.

-- Georg