* pointer to intrinsic function?
@ 2006-03-04 22:07 bantchev
From: bantchev @ 2006-03-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all!

Can I get a pointer to an intrinsic function, such as
function "+"(left,right: in float) return float ?
If yes, how?  Thank you.

-- B.

* Re: pointer to intrinsic function?
@ 2006-03-05  0:08 ` jimmaureenrogers
From: jimmaureenrogers @ 2006-03-05  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

bantchev@math.bas.bg wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Can I get a pointer to an intrinsic function, such as
> function "+"(left,right: in float) return float ?
> If yes, how?  Thank you.

Please explain your goals.

You can pass function parameters to generic units.
You can create an access to function type and assign
it the value of +'access.

I suspect you might not need to do either of these.

Jim Rogers

* Re: pointer to intrinsic function?
@ 2006-03-05  0:42 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2006-03-05  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

bantchev@math.bas.bg wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Can I get a pointer to an intrinsic function, such as
> function "+"(left,right: in float) return float ?
> If yes, how?  Thank you.

In my experience the answer is "no" [see RM 6.3.1 (11)].

You could wrap you're own inlined function but I'm not even sure what
you would get with that - try it and check the assembler. E.g.

    function Add (L, R : Float'Base) return Float'Base;
    pragma Inline (Ada);
    function Add (L, R : Float'Base) return Float'Base is
    begin
       return L + R;
    end Add;

Why are you worried about this?

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: pointer to intrinsic function?
@ 2006-03-05 13:04   ` bantchev
From: bantchev @ 2006-03-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim and Martin:

Thank you both for answering.

Martin Dowie wrote:
> In my experience the answer is "no" [see RM 6.3.1 (11)].

Yes, that seems to be the case.  Thank you for pointing me
to this paragraph in the RM.

Martin Dowie wrote:
> Why are you worried about this?

Since I can do  "+"(x,y)  in place of x+y (and similarly for other
intrinsics) I thought I could store a pointer to "+" and use it to
the same effect that one would use sin'access etc -- which one
really can.  Without that, I have to resort to either wrapping the
intrinsics or doing case analysis -- nothing really awful but still
vexing.

Cheers,
   Boyko