* How to write a driver with Ada
@ 2006-01-12 11:16 ada_develop
From: ada_develop @ 2006-01-12 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody knows where I can get information about hardware low-level
programming with Ada? I want information of how to access to the Pc
hardware (RS232, Parallel port) using Ada only. It  could be very
helpfull to see some examples of how to do it. If there is nothing on
the web, can anybody recommends me some book that tells how?

Thanks.

* Re: How to write a driver with Ada
@ 2006-01-12 12:08 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2006-01-12 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

This depends upon the Operating System under which you're running, and
whether you want to create true device driver for that OS, or merely want to
access the hardware through the OS's existing drivers in a particular Ada
application you're writing.

@ 2006-01-14  6:24 ` Gautier Write-only
From: Gautier Write-only @ 2006-01-14  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

ada_develop wrote:

> Anybody knows where I can get information about hardware low-level
> programming with Ada? I want information of how to access to the Pc
> hardware (RS232, Parallel port) using Ada only. It  could be very
> helpfull to see some examples of how to do it. If there is nothing on
> the web, can anybody recommends me some book that tells how?
>
> Thanks.

For an example (in a certain OS) you have:

  http://users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk/other_os.html#PORTS
  http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/gdm/gsoft.htm#dos_paqs

HTH
Gautier     --     http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: How to write a driver with Ada
@ 2006-01-17  8:54   ` ada_develop
From: ada_develop @ 2006-01-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the links Gautier. It's not exactly what I was searching
for, but it gives me an idea of how I can use some stuff.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clear. As David said, I should specify
the OS for what the drivers are needed. I'm interested in doing it on
Linux, for a x86 architecture. By the way, it's very difficult to port
a x86 driver for Linux to another architecture? For  example, to port a
x86 linux console driver to an Arm linux console driver.

Thanks again.