From: "ldb" <louis@pittpatt.com>
Subject: Re: Allocated aligned arrays
Date: 23 Nov 2005 06:28:31 -0800
Date: 2005-11-23T06:28:31-08:00	[thread overview]

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked into user-defined storage
pools, but they appear to have two very large limitations:

Can they be dynamically sized?
Can I only associate entire types with storage pools.. or can I
associate individual instances of a type with different pools?

In other words, I'd like to be able to allocate the storage-pool size
at run-time, after I know the dimensions of the input. I can't really
seem to figure out if this is even possible. And furthermore, I'd only
like certain instances of a particular class to use that storage pool,
not all of them (I don't want every instance of a particular variable
in a large structure to have to use my storage pool).

Perhaps, then, using subtypes, there is a way around the second issue?
But, again, the entire purpose of requesting aligned arrays is to
improve the speed of the run, so any rigorous conversion function is
essentially a killer, also.