From: g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University)
Subject: Re: How Ada is failing socially
Date: 26 Jun 91 23:28:12 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Jun25.175925.6730@csv.viccol.edu.au>, dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) writes:
> In article <SRCTRAN.91Jun24191603@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
>>
>>      If Ada is so great, and the US government is spending so many billions
>> on Ada software development, why is the marketplace for Ada tools and
>> libraries non-existent?

Just maybe it doesn't need to be "existent" - there is so much standard Ada
support available that selling tools and libraries are almost REDUNDENT.

>>      I just received in the mail today the Summer '91 issue of "The
>> Connection"  [ETC.]
>> [ETC.]

> On a related point, would it be true to say that Ada has built in features
> that obviate the need for many auxiliary tools?  Comments anyone?

Thanks for saying this.  IMHO Ada has many of the features that are available
in the C tools that are advertised.

> I would be more concerned about a lack of Ada compatible libraries, as one
> of the objectives of Ada was to encourage a software component industry.

Many Ada compilers either come with extensive libraries or these libraries
are available from via FTP or downloads.  Isn't it wonderful to work on a
STANDARD language??

[post flames here]

George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654