* Ada 95 Debugger Script (memory location)
@ 2005-10-03 13:53 dylan
From: dylan @ 2005-10-03 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a script for the debugger which obtains data and
dumps it into a specified file.

The problem is that I have to find the memory address of a specified
variable.  The memory address is what I will use for the "memdump"
command to put the data into the file.  I cannot just hardcode the
address location because it changes.

I'm not sure how to store the memory address location using the command
prompt, and I have searched somewhat thoroughly through the debugger
help manual.

Thanks for your help!

* Re: Ada 95 Debugger Script (memory location)
@ 2005-10-03 22:55 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-10-03 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

dylan@skitsanddicks.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to write a script for the debugger which obtains data and
> dumps it into a specified file.
>
> The problem is that I have to find the memory address of a specified
> variable.  The memory address is what I will use for the "memdump"
> command to put the data into the file.  I cannot just hardcode the
> address location because it changes.
>
> I'm not sure how to store the memory address location using the command
> prompt, and I have searched somewhat thoroughly through the debugger
> help manual.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Which debugger?

gdb, IBM Ada Developer, Greenhills, etc ?

Perhaps you can just write a an Ada procedure that does the write to a
file via the 'address of the variable and call the procedure from
whatever debugger script you are using.

* Re: Ada 95 Debugger Script (memory location)
@ 2005-10-04 13:44   ` dylan
From: dylan @ 2005-10-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

GreenHills.  I'll try the procedure.  Thanks for your response.  I'll
try the procedure.