* KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04  1:50 Keith Brown
From: Keith Brown @ 2004-02-04  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

The Kdevelop 3.0  programming environment was released today. This release
includes support for Ada95 among other languages. This looks like a very
exciting development to me (no pun intended).  Is anyone in this group doing
any Ada95 work (or planning to) with KDevelop? This appears to support an IDE
and GUI development tools for the KDE environment. For a list of features see
the link below. Any comments?

http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=features.html

--
Keith Brown

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04  9:20 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2004-02-04  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:50:17 -0600, Keith Brown
<kbrown2720@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>The Kdevelop 3.0  programming environment was released today. This release
>includes support for Ada95 among other languages. This looks like a very
>exciting development to me (no pun intended).  Is anyone in this group doing
>any Ada95 work (or planning to) with KDevelop? This appears to support an IDE
>and GUI development tools for the KDE environment. For a list of features see
>the link below. Any comments?
>
>http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=features.html

That's interesting - how does it compare with GPS?

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04 14:03 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-02-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Brown wrote:

> All,
>
> The Kdevelop 3.0  programming environment was released today.

Interesting is that at the same time a new Version of "Umbrello UML
Modeller" was released as well:

http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php

> This release
> includes support for Ada95 among other languages.

Umbrello features an UML -> Ada code generator.

> This looks like a very
> exciting development to me (no pun intended).  Is anyone in this group
> doing any Ada95 work (or planning to) with KDevelop?

I will have a try.

> This appears to
> support an IDE and GUI development tools for the KDE environment. For a
> list of features see the link below. Any comments?

That would be good. I found GNOME to instable and much prefer KDE.

With Regards

Martin.

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04 16:26   ` Ludovic Brenta
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-02-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Keith Brown wrote:
> > This appears to
> > support an IDE and GUI development tools for the KDE environment. For a
> > list of features see the link below. Any comments?
>
> That would be good. I found GNOME to instable and much prefer KDE.
>
> With Regards
>
> Martin.

Unfortunately, there is no Ada binding to KDE as of now.  Perhaps you
would care to write one?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04 16:48   ` chris
From: chris @ 2004-02-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Keith Brown wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>The Kdevelop 3.0  programming environment was released today.
>

> Interesting is that at the same time a new Version of "Umbrello UML
> Modeller" was released as well:
>
> http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php

Umbrello is part of KDevelop now iirc.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-04 18:07   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-04 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-04, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> That would be good. I found GNOME to instable and much prefer KDE.

Which version of Gnome?

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-02-05  7:08   ` Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 2004-02-05  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:<1672064.EiTi3y1jD6@linux1.krischik.com>...

> Umbrello features an UML -> Ada code generator.

Further comment: I will add Ada code import soon, but in order
to use it people will need to compile umbrello from CVS or wait
for version 1.3 (which won't be released for quite a while.)
I am looking for people to help out with integrating the parser
and code generator for true round-trip engineering.

> > This looks like a very
> > exciting development to me (no pun intended).  Is anyone in this group
> > doing any Ada95 work (or planning to) with KDevelop?
>
> I will have a try.

Beware that the Ada support is really still in development, as
can be seen in
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdevelop/html/LangSupportStatus.html
Also, the kdevelop team is looking for active contributors/
maintainers of the AdaSupportPart:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdevelop/html/unmaintained.html

Help from the Ada community is much appreciated.

Oliver M. Kellogg

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-05 14:16     ` Harald Korneliussen
From: Harald Korneliussen @ 2004-02-05 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message news:<m31xpa4xqf.fsf@insalien.org>...

> Unfortunately, there is no Ada binding to KDE as of now.  Perhaps you
> would care to write one?

Heh, quite a lot of work. On the other hand, Qt is c++ isn't it? That
may permit a binding to be rather thin and still feel reasonably
ada-like.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-05 20:34     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-02-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> On 2004-02-04, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>> That would be good. I found GNOME to instable and much prefer KDE.
>
> Which version of Gnome?

Shure the newer Version if GNOME are more stable. But it is not just about
GNOME - its the Applications - and they matter.

KMail was usable from Version 1. Evolution needed at least 5 releases to
evolve into something usefull.

Konqueror was not beatifull but usable from Version 1. Nautilus was
beatifull but useless. And now Nautilus has been reduced in functionality
to about the level of Konqueror 2.

And for half a year I had no themes. All grey in grey. Only after I kicked
out everything related to ximian and red-carpet and reinstalled GNOME
almost from scratch it started to work again.

I can't count the amout of times a GNOME programm was on about a missing
libX in version y.z and only x.z and nothing else.

GNOME suffers under the use of C and its insistance of polluting /usr/share.
Both of which are quite old fashioned. KDE on the other side using C++
and /opt/kde3 - and that works a lot better.

The only GNOME programms I am using nowerdays is GIMP and sane. gtk is after
all the GIMP Toolkit and should never have become anything else.

Ah and there is GPS. Mind you, my GPS does not obey the selected theme. All
grey in grey. GPS does not even highlight the selected menu item. But there
is hope in the form of KDevelop 3.0.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-02-05 23:59       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-02-05 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:16:34 -0800, Harald Korneliussen wrote:

> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message news:<m31xpa4xqf.fsf@insalien.org>...
>
>> Unfortunately, there is no Ada binding to KDE as of now.  Perhaps you
>> would care to write one?
>
> Heh, quite a lot of work. On the other hand, Qt is c++ isn't it? That
> may permit a binding to be rather thin and still feel reasonably
> ada-like.

Just like Eclipse the architecture isn't simple. They just over do
everything.

Plus the editors key bindings are forever changing between versions. The
only think that a programmer needs is SHIFT+cursor keys that work right,
only MSVC and Scintilla have it correct. The last time I used KDevelop,
the QEditor had it right, the the next time, it'd been changed to match
those of Kate, which sucks.

S, I don't touch KDE anymore.

Luke.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06  0:03         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-02-06  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@n_o_p_o_r_k_a_n_d_h_a_m.abyss2.demon.co.uk> wrote
in message > > Heh, quite a lot of work. On the other hand, Qt is c++ isn't
it? That
> > may permit a binding to be rather thin and still feel reasonably
> > ada-like.
>
> Just like Eclipse the architecture isn't simple. They just over do
> everything.
>
> Plus the editors key bindings are forever changing between versions. The
> only think that a programmer needs is SHIFT+cursor keys that work right,
> only MSVC and Scintilla have it correct. The last time I used KDevelop,
> the QEditor had it right, the the next time, it'd been changed to match
> those of Kate, which sucks.

are you interested in an Ada IDE for eclipse though?..

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06  3:02           ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-02-06  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@n_o_p_o_r_k_a_n_d_h_a_m.abyss2.demon.co.uk> wrote
> in message > > Heh, quite a lot of work. On the other hand, Qt is c++
isn't
> it? That
> > > may permit a binding to be rather thin and still feel reasonably
> > > ada-like.
> >
> > Just like Eclipse the architecture isn't simple. They just over do
> > everything.
> >
> > Plus the editors key bindings are forever changing between versions. The
> > only think that a programmer needs is SHIFT+cursor keys that work right,
> > only MSVC and Scintilla have it correct. The last time I used KDevelop,
> > the QEditor had it right, the the next time, it'd been changed to match
> > those of Kate, which sucks.
>
> are you interested in an Ada IDE for eclipse though?..

Why? Does someone have one in the works?

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06  7:18             ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-02-06  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff C," <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > are you interested in an Ada IDE for eclipse though?..
> >

> Why? Does someone have one in the works?

Not that I know of. Shame that COBOL-users can scrape together
to get one going but the Ada community can't :-(

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06 11:55               ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2004-02-06 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> > > are you interested in an Ada IDE for eclipse though?..
> Not that I know of. Shame that COBOL-users can scrape together
> to get one going but the Ada community can't :-(

Last time I looked Eclipsed had Ada.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06 12:49           ` Luke Guest
From: Luke Guest @ 2004-02-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> are you interested in an Ada IDE for eclipse though?..

Nope, I'm writing my own.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-06 18:21       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-05, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> KMail was usable from Version 1. Evolution needed at least 5 releases to
> evolve into something usefull.

Neither are usable in my opinion, but that is a different matter ;-)

> Konqueror was not beatifull but usable from Version 1. Nautilus was
> beatifull but useless. And now Nautilus has been reduced in functionality
> to about the level of Konqueror 2.

Nautilus and Konqueror both suck. If you want a GOOD filemanager you
should get Rox-Filer. http://rox.sf.net

> I can't count the amout of times a GNOME programm was on about a missing
> libX in version y.z and only x.z and nothing else.

Use Debian!

> GNOME suffers under the use of C and its insistance of polluting /usr/share.
> Both of which are quite old fashioned. KDE on the other side using C++
> and /opt/kde3 - and that works a lot better.

Not my experience. KDE programs crash just as much, consumes a lot of
RAM and are sluggish to start (especially the office programs). And of
course butt ugly :-).

> The only GNOME programms I am using nowerdays is GIMP and sane. gtk is after
> all the GIMP Toolkit and should never have become anything else.

Yeah right. When are you going to make a QT binding the Ada?

> Ah and there is GPS. Mind you, my GPS does not obey the selected theme. All
> grey in grey. GPS does not even highlight the selected menu item. But there
> is hope in the form of KDevelop 3.0.

I expect the only support for Ada that KDevelop 3.0 has is syntax
higlighting. As to get GPS to use themes, it should only be to add one
code line if I'm not mistaken..

However, please note that you can run KDE programs in Gnome and Gtk/Gnome
programs in KDE.

--

@ 2004-02-06 18:25       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-02-06 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Ah and there is GPS. Mind you, my GPS does not obey the selected theme. All
> grey in grey. GPS does not even highlight the selected menu item. But there
> is hope in the form of KDevelop 3.0.

I noticed this problem with the binaries shipped by Ada Core
Technologies.  If you try my Debian package for GPS, you will see that
if honours the theme.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-07 18:21         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-02-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> On 2004-02-05, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>> I can't count the amout of times a GNOME programm was on about a missing
>> libX in version y.z and only x.z and nothing else.

> Use Debian!

I am considering a switch to Debian when got new Hardware.

>> The only GNOME programms I am using nowerdays is GIMP and sane. gtk is
>> after all the GIMP Toolkit and should never have become anything else.
>
> Yeah right. When are you going to make a QT binding the Ada?

I am considering that as well - but I frear it is not a job for one person.
I would not be the first to fail on such a massive task (http:/
sourceforge.net/projects/qtada/).

>> Ah and there is GPS. Mind you, my GPS does not obey the selected theme.
>> All grey in grey. GPS does not even highlight the selected menu item. But
>> there is hope in the form of KDevelop 3.0.

> I expect the only support for Ada that KDevelop 3.0 has is syntax
> higlighting.

Which Kate is better at then GPS already. It supprises me that GPS can only
highlight keywords and not for example attributes or the types from the
system package.

But then GPS can do other trick. Otherwise I would not be using it, would I.

With Regards

Martin Krischik

--

@ 2004-02-07 18:41     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-02-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Kellogg wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Umbrello features an UML -> Ada code generator.
>
> Further comment: I will add Ada code import soon, but in order
> to use it people will need to compile umbrello from CVS or wait
> for version 1.3 (which won't be released for quite a while.)
> I am looking for people to help out with integrating the parser
> and code generator for true round-trip engineering.

Well I would like to help. But why use a "parser" - don't we have ASIS?
Nothing is better at parsing Ada then the compiler itself.

For example: I use AdaDoc and AdaBrowse to generate documentation for AdaCL.

AdaDoc uses a parser and the AdaCL makefile currently list 30 legal spec
files which AdaDoc can't parse and can't generate documentation for. Also
AdaDoc has problems with local packages.

On the other Hand AdaBrowse uses ASIS. AdaBrowse has no problem generating
documentation from these specs.

Do compare the follwing results:

http://adacl.sourceforge.net/AdaDoc/adacl-queue.html
http://adacl.sourceforge.net/AdaBrowse/adacl-queue.html

I wounder I we could get the delveloper of AdaBrowse to help with the
reverse engineering.

> Beware that the Ada support is really still in development, as
> can be seen in
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdevelop/html/
> LangSupportStatus.html
> Also, the kdevelop team is looking for active contributors/
> maintainers of the AdaSupportPart:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdevelop/html
> unmaintained.html

Is there much work to do?

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-02-11 21:44         ` chris
From: chris @ 2004-02-11 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Nautilus and Konqueror both suck. If you want a GOOD filemanager you
> should get Rox-Filer. http://rox.sf.net

Alternatively there's the command line! ;)

For browsing Firefox is good (imo)!

>>I can't count the amout of times a GNOME programm was on about a missing
>>libX in version y.z and only x.z and nothing else.
>

> Use Debian!

Agreed.  Also the easiest way to install debian is via Knoppix!  This
has fab hardware support and the knx-hdinstall script makes it a breeze.
  Once you install it you can change the sources list to use
testing/unstable.  In my experience unstable only breaks something once
in a while (usually a long while) and it was worth it to get Umbrello
when it was in unstable.

I am waiting until knoppix has 2.6.1 and then I'm going to refresh my
system (unless it has so already).  I'm too scared to upgrade the kernel
myself. ;)

> Not my experience. KDE programs crash just as much, consumes a lot of
> RAM and are sluggish to start (especially the office programs). And of
> course butt ugly :-).

Nothing is slower than OO.o though. :P

Chris

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-12  0:12           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-02-12  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote:
:
: Agreed.  Also the easiest way to install debian is via Knoppix!  This
: has fab hardware support and the knx-hdinstall script makes it a breeze.

I don't want to stop you but in general Knoppix is
a useful system to carry around on a CD, and it says so.
If you have standard hardware, use Debian testing or better, stable,
and compile the few new things you need, like compilers.
It is somewhat tedious, though possible, to go from a Knoppix Debian
to a testing Debian, and the hardware recognition Knoppix offers is
quite helpful before doing this.

: I'm too scared to upgrade the kernel myself. ;)

The Knoppix kernel is, as is said in the README, the latest stable
kernel from kernel org with a few patches.  You loose the security
patches of Debian's stable, you win support for new features and hardware.
I'm glad though that it supports the XFS file system out of the box
so it has a chance to become known.

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-12  7:26           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-11, chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Nothing is slower than OO.o though. :P

OO.o ? Do you mean Open Office? Try the last version and you'll see it
has improved. But OO is beside the point it is not Gnome.

:-)

--

@ 2004-02-12  7:32             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-12, Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>:
>: Agreed.  Also the easiest way to install debian is via Knoppix!  This
>: has fab hardware support and the knx-hdinstall script makes it a breeze.
>
> I don't want to stop you but in general Knoppix is
> a useful system to carry around on a CD, and it says so.

Yes. If one is scared of Debian there are other Debian based
distributions out there.

See:

   http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros

These two have gotten good reviews:

   http://www.mepis.org/
   http://www.xandros.net/

> If you have standard hardware, use Debian testing or better, stable,
> and compile the few new things you need, like compilers.

No no no no no no! Do NOT mix self-compiled gcc with the Debian package
system. Rather install from unstable.

At any rate compiling the kernel is easy.

--

@ 2004-02-12 15:03               ` news.verizon.net
From: news.verizon.net @ 2004-02-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:32:37 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
<randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:

> Yes. If one is scared of Debian there are other Debian based
> distributions out there.
>
> See:

<snip>

Another nice distribution based on Debian is libranet, which I've been
using for a few years:  www.libranet.com

ps, Preben: thanks for the pointer to ROX and Zero-Install.

- Ed

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-12 18:48               ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-02-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
:
: No no no no no no! Do NOT mix self-compiled gcc with the Debian package
: system. Rather install from unstable.

I disagree, strongly. I didn't say mix. What is wrong with

1) carfully translating a program yourself
2) Install in /opt or some such

I am assuming that you NEVER install your binaries in standard
locations?

Installing from "unstable" results in what the word says, in an
unstable system.

Georg

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-13 15:20                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-12, Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
>:
>: No no no no no no! Do NOT mix self-compiled gcc with the Debian package
>: system. Rather install from unstable.
>
> I disagree, strongly. I didn't say mix. What is wrong with
>
> 1) carfully translating a program yourself
> 2) Install in /opt or some such

It depends which program it is. If it is gcc, then why not rather
install the version you need from unstable? If it is mplayer or some
other program without a debian package it is not a problem to compile it
yourself of course. I was talking about gcc.

> Installing from "unstable" results in what the word says, in an
> unstable system.

It is not as simple as that. I use unstable and I don't have a problem
with my system (note I'm not running a server...) However I do use
apt-listbugs (it lists critical bugs before each apt installation) to
avoid installing broken programs.

But one thing that is really important to understand is that
installing from "testing"[*] can break your system.

Preben

[*] Unless you do it close to a new stable release. My system broke 6-8
months ago after upgrading to testing. Upgrading further to unstable
solved the problem.

--

@ 2004-02-13 18:56                   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-02-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
:> 2) Install in /opt or some such
:
: It depends which program it is. If it is gcc, then why not rather
: install the version you need from unstable?

Because of program and library dependences, configuration options,
the lack of a possibility to use the most recent fixes etc.
It is sort of my own unstable area that can be "switched off" ;-)

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2004-02-14  9:56                     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-02-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-02-13, Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
>:> 2) Install in /opt or some such
>:
>: It depends which program it is. If it is gcc, then why not rather
>: install the version you need from unstable?
>
> Because of program and library dependences, configuration options,
> the lack of a possibility to use the most recent fixes etc.
> It is sort of my own unstable area that can be "switched off" ;-)

But you can get the source pack and rebuild that on your arcitecture and
then install this package. Then you get the advantage of the debian
package system, and avoid the pitfalls.

--

@ 2004-02-22 22:09       ` Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 2004-02-22 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:<3197151.ID6hoJyZCs@linux1.krischik.com>...
> [...]
> Well I would like to help. But why use a "parser" - don't we have ASIS?
> Nothing is better at parsing Ada then the compiler itself.

Generally I would agree, but KDE is written in C++, and
introducing the need for a second language (i.e. second
compiler) is not too welcome with the KDE people
(understandably, I guess.)

> For example: I use AdaDoc and AdaBrowse to generate documentation for AdaCL.
>
> AdaDoc uses a parser and the AdaCL makefile currently list 30 legal spec
> files which AdaDoc can't parse and can't generate documentation for. Also
> AdaDoc has problems with local packages.

I haven't tried these tools, but for Kdevelop it is essential
that the parser be able to produce best-effort trees from
incomplete or faulty code. This is because Kdevelop has a
problem reporter which parses the code while the user is
in the editor, and gives on-the-fly error/warning messages.

> Is there much work to do?

For Kdevelop, we need to finish hooking up the AdaStoreWalker
to the CodeModel. If done right, this would involve factoring
the commonalities among the ANTLR based language supports (Java,
Ada, Pascal) into base classes from which the specific support
parts inherit.

If you're interested in helping with Umbrello, I suggest
you contact me directly.

--Oliver

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2005-08-11 15:56 okellogg
From: okellogg @ 2005-08-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Feb 2004 09:08, Oliver Kellogg wrote:
> Martin Krischik <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message <news:1672064.EiTi3y1jD6@linux1.krischik.com>...
>
> > Umbrello features an UML -> Ada code generator.
>
> Further comment: I will add Ada code import soon, but in order
> to use it people will need to compile umbrello from CVS or wait
> for version 1.3 (which won't be released for quite a while.)
> [...]

Well, it's taken "slightly" longer than announced, but Ada import
will be in version 1.5, see

http://uml.sourceforge.net/developers.php#new-features

Hope this helps

* Re: KDevelop 3.0 released - was Ada popularity
@ 2005-08-12  4:45 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-08-12  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

okellogg wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2004 09:08, Oliver Kellogg wrote:
>
>>Martin Krischik <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message <news:1672064.EiTi3y1jD6@linux1.krischik.com>...
>>

>>>Umbrello features an UML -> Ada code generator.
>>
>>Further comment: I will add Ada code import soon, but in order
>>to use it people will need to compile umbrello from CVS or wait
>>for version 1.3 (which won't be released for quite a while.)
>>[...]
>

> Well, it's taken "slightly" longer than announced, but Ada import
> will be in version 1.5, see
>
> http://uml.sourceforge.net/developers.php#new-features
>
> Hope this helps

Still it is progress. I was not even aware that it already had the
generator in it.  Looking forward to a 1.5 release version.