From: "fabio de francesco" <fmdf@tiscali.it>
Subject: Re: "broken pipe" while reading/writing stream-based sockets
Date: 11 May 2005 08:01:38 -0700
Date: 2005-05-11T08:01:38-07:00	[thread overview]

Adrien Plisson wrote:
> fabio de francesco wrote:
> > I usually test the server this way:
> >
> > $ ./tcp_client abc & ./tcp_client def & ./tcp_client xyz &
./tcp_client
> > kill
> >
> > 1) Why does this server sometimes crash with "Broken Pipe"?
>
> on my windows machine, i get the windows equivalent ("connection
reset
> by peer") on every test.

I get the same error as yours on the client side. "Broken Pipe" is only
on server side. We get "connection reset by peer" only after the server
crashes.

> it seems due to the speed of your computer. i observed that closing a

> local socket (that is a socket which connect a server and a client on

> the same machine) while data are not already received by the other
> side always causes loss of data on fast computers.

I'm not so sure, because I have never seen that "Broken Pipe" error
before now on my computer. Furthermore I don't get any crashes while
running similar client/server Ada programs using T'Input/T'Output or
Receive_Socket/Send_Socket on the same computer.

If it can help in investigating this issue I can post these other
programs too.

As a consequence I must think I am missing something in that specific
code. Please help me to spot what I'm doing wrong.

fabio de francesco