From: timbuk!sequoia!gbt@uunet.uu.net  (Greg Titus)
Subject: Re: Ada in a C++ Interview
Date: 7 Aug 91 16:14:11 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Aug06.220725.4010@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) wr
ites:
>... I keep hearing that "only FORTRAN"
>is suitable for vectorizing stuff on Crays (obvious malarkey, since
>Ada is inherently vectorizable [can you say "tasking"], but what
>the heck).

Better yet, can you say "loop"?   ;-)   Any language with looping
constructs (quick!  name one without!), whether implicit or explicit
ones, is potentially vectorizable.  You actually may get a break
vectorizing Ada, because the language is such that more information
is available to the compiler regarding the possible values of
variables at runtime than it is in, say, Fortran or C.

[This thread started with someone reporting a DoD person as having
claimed that nobody in DoD was using Ada on Crays.  I won't comment
on customer activities (that's their business), but the CRI PR office
may be able to provide more accurate information on the subject.]

greg
Greg Titus (gbt@zia.cray.com)             Compiler Group (Ada)
Cray Research, Inc.                               Santa Fe, NM
Opinions expressed herein (such as they are) are purely my own.