From: beliavsky@aol.com
Subject: Re: Game Programming / Graphics
Date: 3 Apr 2005 11:37:56 -0700
Date: 2005-04-03T11:37:56-07:00	[thread overview]

jsnX wrote:
> > It does, but if you want a job in the industry,
> > expect to be forced into using C or C++.
>
> I want to make game parts, mostly - i look forward to contributing to
> open source games and game tool kits. so i really do want to know
what
> is the *best language*, in terms of programming pleasure and
potential
> performance. unfortunately the interpreted languages are right out
> because of their performance, and that knocks Java out of the ring,
> too. C and ForTran are fast, but they lack the pleasure/orderlyness
> that comes from OO. It looks like my options are C++ (and|or) Ada.

Fortran 90 and later versions has user-defined types that can have
public and private data members, be used as procedure arguments, and be
returned as function results. Thus F90 supports object-based
programming. There are many Fortran 95 compilers, including a free one,
g95 http://www.g95.org . Fortran 2003 supports OOP with inheritance.
Although F95 compilers are adding F2003 features, a full F2003 compiler
is not available yet.