From: "Mattias Lindblad" <ml_news@matli.net>
Subject: Re: Annex I?
Date: 1 Apr 2005 00:57:36 -0800
Date: 2005-04-01T00:57:36-08:00	[thread overview]

Thanks for a fast and authoritative answer!

> What's IEEE 1003.5?

"POSIX Ada Language Interfaces- Part 1: Binding for System
Application Program Interface (API)", i.e. the bindings between
Ada and POSIX.

> There might have been a preliminary version with an Annex I [...]
> But if so, nobody should be referring to such a preliminary,
> unapproved version.

I agree. The IEEE standard refers to a version of the Ada standard
issued 15 February 1995. However, the first edition of the IEEE
standard was issued 1996, so one could guess that they started with
a preliminary version of the Ada standard while writing the standard
and didn't notice the change in annex numbering in the final version.

> The ISO rules also forbid paragraph numbers.

Isn't it possible to get some kind of exemption from those rules? My C
and C++ standards (from 1999) both have paragraph numbering, and I
believe they are bought from ISO. Or maybe those standards are simply
not standard compliant. (In addition to the paragraph numbering,
the C standard actually has an "Annex I".)

//Mattias